Fuel stabilizer - Sta-Bil or something else

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gumout Multi-System Tune-Up and Seafoam claim they can stabilize fuel. There's also Star-Tron Enzyme. And the tried and true Sta-Bil.

I need to keep some fuel "fresh" for the upcoming winter months and CA gas turns funky due to the ethanol in it. Are these new AIO or "enzyme" additives good at keeping fuel fresh, or stick with Sta-Bil?

All work good, I usually add a bottle of chevron w/ techron to my gas cans. However I am running stabil now it was hanging around the garage.

I may try the gumout when my techron supply is out.

Sta-bil pink works okay for me for gas cans but OPE that's vented has given me problems. "Gas" that looks like Mountain Dew-- lime green! And with chunks.

Originally Posted by CT8
What is there to stabilize on gasoline?

You're kidding right? If you leave gas untreated and store that engine for a very long period of time you could be in for a world of trouble. I still say that for under 5 or 6 months nothing is necessary, but beyond that you're playing with fire if you don't add stabilizer.

I have given up on treating standard ethanol based pump gasoline with products like Sta-Bil and Ethanol Shield for small engine use. It's a messy, smelly PITA. Instead I have switched to Tru Fuel. Yes it's more expensive. But the stuff has a shelf life of up to 5 years, and is completely ethanol free. I no longer have a lawn to mow weekly, or snow to blow. But even if I did, I would run my mower and or snowblower dry at the end of the season, then add a tank of Tru Fuel and run it until it got fully into the fuel system.

My current situation requires me to keep a small generator and pressure washer running. Both see very limited use. So by keeping them filled with the Tru Fuel, I no longer have to worry about, "bad gas" damaging them because of sitting for long periods. In that regard it's worth every penny.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/TruSouth-TruFuel-4-Cycle-Ethanol-Free-Fuel-6527206/205913140

Last edited:
I just run whatever device out of gas as far as possible and store, then when I need it again I fill it with fresh gas an viola.

I have never had an issue with lawn/outdoor seasonal equipment of my generator all on E-10.
21.gif

I mean if you are going to store for more than a year maybe, but within a year I have had 0 issues.

Put a cut off in-line from the tank to the carb. Block it off when finished and let the engine die. You will have no fuel in the carb to gum up anything and can treat the remaining fuel accordingly.

I have found it very difficult to get pump gas to last any time at all (meaning longer than 7-8 months). Tru-fuel is what I normally buy, I've used sta-bil, star-tron, and a couple others that claimed to fix everything but don't. Long term storage of gasoline is problematic at best.

I would love to hear what you guys are using if you bulk purchase a year at a time.

My pressure washer has been sitting since last March. The fuel in it was 10% ethanol pump 91 octane Premium that was treated with Sta-Bil and Ethanol Shield. I first pumped out all of the remaining 5 month old fuel that was in the tank, with one of those little $5 hand transfer pumps from Harbor Freight. It worked well. I then refilled it with fresh Tru Fuel. I turned on the fuel valve while I hooked up all the hoses. It started on the first pull!

I just gave the driveway and sidewalks a quick once over, just to run the unit long enough to draw the fresh Tru Fuel into the carburetor and engine. Now she's good for a long term storage. I did the same with my generator yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back