Fuel pump making noise. New filter or weak battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a new-to-me 1997 GMC Yukon/third vehicle I picked up cheap this summer. Had it in the garage to do some front end and other work the last few weeks. Been on jack stands and haven't started it for close to a month as I check things off the to-do list.

Over the weekend I replaced the in-line fuel filter under the driver's door. It went pretty well and I got everything buttoned back up. I finished another project on the truck tonight and decided it was time to start it up. The battery, as I suspected, was pretty weak and wouldn't crank the thing over. (In about 4 weeks, it's had about 8 miles put on it. The battery is an Interstate that has a date code of 10-2015 on it, FWIW.)

As I turned the key on, though, the fuel pump made an unusually loud noise for maybe 30-40 seconds before going silent. I turned the key on/off and it did this each time for 3 times over about 15 minutes. The sound reminded me of an RV water pump priming itself on the first use of a camping trip. Sort of a whirring sound that changes as it gets close to a successful prime.

So my question is this: Is the fuel pump acting abnormally because of the fuel filter swap or the weak battery?

I have the battery on the charger tonight so I guess I'll know for sure tomorrow. In the meantime, any ideas?

CSFI (Spider) injected Chevies run a lot of fuel pressure (Assuming it still has the original Poppet style injectors).....It needs 66 psi just to start/FPR closed.
They are naturally loud & not very reliable.

I usually recommend a Walbro 255 pump, 12 gauge wiring, Remote relay, & a GM MPI (Multec) conversion spider. This is tedious & expensive!

A OE GM pump & MPI conversion is another option that will last a good bit assuming the pump wiring/connections are in good shape.

When I had a 1993 Suburban with a TBI and an in-tank fuel pump if it started to become noisy it was on its way out. I replaced it 3 times, each time dropping a 44 gallon tank. Those pump were very susceptible to running out of fuel and failing shortly after. I would use an OEM pump since the NAPA ones I tried failed twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back