Fuel injector cleaner use over the long term?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently I bought a bottle of FI cleaner on sale. After the first couple of tanks I realized how much smoother my car runs ONLY when I use it. The last tank I forgot to put it in, and the car ran noticeably rougher (I didn't like this). I'm not noticing much in terms of fuel economy improvements, but it's more about keeping the car running smoothly and with decent power.

In terms of the dose, I'm only using about an ounce per tank full. If I consistently run this stuff in every tank, will I damage anything?

Years ago I used to put about the same amount of Acetone in my tank and got similar results. Not sure if there's any comparisons that can be drawn between the two

Here's the product I've been using:
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motoma...ml#.VXr7H6Xn_cs

Car is the 07 Focus in the sig with 130kms (82k miles). Probably the original fuel filter and plugs.

yep, I don't run additives in most cars or trucks here unless they exhibit some kind of symptoms. But in my sig car a bit of acetone based additive truly does seem to sharpen her up a bit.

Hasn't hurt a thing across 103k miles and 10 years...

I use Redline SI-1 every 3k miles or so. Entire bottle. I've done this for years and never had a problem. I may start using a low maintenance dose instead of doing the entire bottle.

I learned the acetone trick when spraying nitrous however I dosed far more than a ounce.
I'm not in any way disputing your claims however an ounce just doesn't seem like enough to do anything.
I suppose if you've got the ability to datalog you'd be able to monitor timing advance,which would be an easy way to determine if it's just placebo effect or if it's really doing something.

Oh. And I love your sig. I remember that thread I posted that in.

Acetone/toluene/xylene are all supposed to reduce the surface tension of fuel I just don't know if an ounce is enough.

Last edited:
Oddly enough, the only difference in any additive I ever truly noticed was running MMO is my gas tank.. I did it for awhile and sold the car off I was using it in. Since then, I usually run a bottle of Techron in the gas tank of everything I own once per year.. I can tell no difference other than my fellow BITOGers strongly suggest it so its the fuel additive of my choice. Honestly do I need to be using anything ? probably not.. its just a feel good thing for me.

At one ounce per tankful, I'm skeptical that the additive is doing anything at all. Unless you have a one gallon tank....

We have the dirtiest fuel in the world. I dont think they have additives(techron or shell nitro) at least it has zero ethanol.

I just used one bottle of gas treatment and fuel injector cleaner.

Can these stuff hurt something in the long run?

I run Techron every 3k miles in my Mazdaspeed 3. It makes me feel better, at any rate.
And yes, I know it never reaches the intake valves.

Originally Posted By: WANG
At one ounce per tankful, I'm skeptical that the additive is doing anything at all. Unless you have a one gallon tank....

Agreed...

Run one of the Top Tier fuels and cleaner won't be needed(dunno what brands they are?? Google is your friend)...

Originally Posted By: Hondacity
We have the dirtiest fuel in the world. I dont think they have additives(techron or shell nitro) at least it has zero ethanol.

I believe you are saying you are using a bottle per tank full?

Probably not but you could switch to every other tank full... Or maybe a half bottle for a couple tanks and then a full bottle on the third...

Originally Posted By: Hondacity

Depends on exactly what you are using.

Yesterday I was down to a quarter tank, so I threw in $15 worth of gas to get me to half a tank. After that I drove home and noticed it ran a little rougher (as expected).

Just to be sure I let my GF drive the car last night. Sure enough (without even mentioning the additive or lack thereof) she mentioned how the car seemed noisier and rougher. Exactly as I noticed.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
If it's making a noticeable difference it might be more cost effective to run something like Shell 89 every tank.

What gas do you normally run?

Normally I run Esso 87. Has never posed a problem before and not much different than any other fuel I've run in it

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
Yesterday I was down to a quarter tank, so I threw in $15 worth of gas to get me to half a tank. After that I drove home and noticed it ran a little rougher (as expected).

Could be that ECU detects an octane increase and adjusts slightly for it (or learns) then when you stop using the product the ECU might need a few drive cycles to RE-learn for the lower octane.

Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel
Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy

Could be that ECU detects an octane increase and adjusts slightly for it (or learns) then when you stop using the product the ECU might need a few drive cycles to RE-learn for the lower octane.

This might be it. I'm not sure if there's any "octane" booster in the FI cleaner, but even in the small quantities, it's making a difference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back