Fuel injected Toyotas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Evidently, Toyota fuel filters are a "lifetime" filter. On top of that, they are in the fuel tank and some are a real adventure to get at. Has anyone had problems with these fuel filters once the mileage starts to build up, say 100K or 200K or 300K or more?

To diagnose an inexplicable fuel cut-off, I pulled out one from a Lexus ES at ~250k miles. Looked and tested perfectly.

The issue turned out to be a connector for a c-pillar air bag inadvertently loosened when servicing something else. But it was interesting to see how healthy the filter appeared.

UJ100 has a traditional canister filter in the engine bay. Not a maintenance item. I replace them every 150k miles. Cut a few, and they were quite junky.

Not all toyota fuel filters are in tank.

Also remember that: Lifetime, isn't for ever. No car part will last forever.

Tanks can rust,
if left to sit, varnish and non-volatiles can become problematic...
Every now and then there may be issues with fuel quality...

It's always good practice to swap out a fuel filter every 5 years or 150,000kms. It's a cheap part, and new filters are never a bad thing.

Regards
Jordan

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Evidently, Toyota fuel filters are a "lifetime" filter. On top of that, they are in the fuel tank and some are a real adventure to get at. Has anyone had problems with these fuel filters once the mileage starts to build up, say 100K or 200K or 300K or more?

In my Hyundai Santa Fe it had a lifetime fuel filter inside the gas tank. It was never changed in 300K Miles and I had 0 issues.

Automotive gas is much cleaner than the pre-FI days, even the FAA thinks so. (It's approved for use in small aircraft) One of my Gen 4 Toyotas has gone close to 400K with the under hood filter from the factory. The later injection systems with no return line run much less fuel through the filter.

Not sure fuel is much cleaner but the fuel filters that are permanent have lots of media surface to last a long time. This video below is a great example of the junk your fuel filter will collect over its lifetime.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: StevieC
Not sure fuel is much cleaner but the fuel filters that are permanent have lots of media surface to last a long time. This video below is a great example of the junk your fuel filter will collect over its lifetime.

Fuel storage tanks in my area have been updated to fiberglass by law. Leak detection systems report groundwater intrusion. The tankers are made of aluminium. Filters on the pumps and on the tankers.

Originally Posted By: JFAllen
Not all toyota fuel filters are in tank.

Also remember that: Lifetime, isn't for ever. No car part will last forever.

Tanks can rust,
if left to sit, varnish and non-volatiles can become problematic...
Every now and then there may be issues with fuel quality...

It's always good practice to swap out a fuel filter every 5 years or 150,000kms. It's a cheap part, and new filters are never a bad thing.

Regards
Jordan
Fiberglass double wall tanks are mandated in my area, many vehicle tanks are plastic.

My Matrix has never had an issue with the fuel system. I've wondered what the filter/sock looks like, but haven't had the need to take out the fuel pump.

I know you're asking about Toyota, but my Accord has a non-serviceable filter in the tank as well. No issues with it @15 yrs / 205k miles, and I frequently run the tank to almost empty.

My Camry doesn’t call for the fuel filter to be replaced, it’s under the hood near the brake booster. I replaced it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back