Fuel flow mystery

JHZR2

Staff member
My 1991 MB350SD. Still sorting this car.

The fuel systems in these cars are pretty simple. Tank, strainer, prefilter, lift pump, filter with loop to and from the injection pump, and a return from the injectors.

On all these cars, I own a few, I can open the fuel system, change filters or whatnot, bolt it back together, purge air, and move on.

On this 1991, even though the tank has no pressure, and even if the tank is more or less empty, the diesel won’t stop flowing.

I made a huge mess a few weeks back doing my fuel filter because of that.

Now I’m trying to remove an injection pump. A much more involved job, in my garage. It’s not a five minute swap, it’s a hours long reseal.

This is the only car with this type fuel system that does that. There isn’t an electric pump, not much of anything.

Usually this is a great thing. Kind of lets filters prime if they’re open. But when you open the system… not so good…

Any ideas or thoughts on this?

I can somehow block off one of the rubber lines to stop the flow. But it’s just so strange. It won’t stop.

It’s not like I have an identical second vehicle, same model, year, everything, and it doesn’t do this.

I’d think the lift pump would be the “gate keeper” here. It seems to work fine, but maybe it implies that the seals in the pump are leaky/failed?

Any ideas?

7F89EB43-0BF7-4351-B5BE-78292B7C923F.jpeg

Many pump designs let flow through when not running. The typical cam-powered diaphragm low pressure fuel pump is one of those designs.

Use hose pinch-off pliers.

My 1991 MB350SD. Still sorting this car.

The fuel systems in these cars are pretty simple. Tank, strainer, prefilter, lift pump, filter with loop to and from the injection pump, and a return from the injectors.

On all these cars, I own a few, I can open the fuel system, change filters or whatnot, bolt it back together, purge air, and move on.

On this 1991, even though the tank has no pressure, and even if the tank is more or less empty, the diesel won’t stop flowing.

I made a huge mess a few weeks back doing my fuel filter because of that.

Now I’m trying to remove an injection pump. A much more involved job, in my garage. It’s not a five minute swap, it’s a hours long reseal.

This is the only car with this type fuel system that does that. There isn’t an electric pump, not much of anything.

Usually this is a great thing. Kind of lets filters prime if they’re open. But when you open the system… not so good…

Any ideas or thoughts on this?

I can somehow block off one of the rubber lines to stop the flow. But it’s just so strange. It won’t stop.

It’s not like I have an identical second vehicle, same model, year, everything, and it doesn’t do this.

I’d think the lift pump would be the “gate keeper” here. It seems to work fine, but maybe it implies that the seals in the pump are leaky/failed?

Any ideas?

View attachment 153280
My old 200d did that too, it is normal. Hose pinch offs. I use these, they dont get it the way like pliers, pinch it and remove the clamp.

Thanks! It’s so weird, my other cars don’t. When I had a bad banjo fitting on my 300sd last year I could work freely no issues. My other cars I can change spin on filters with no mess. This car I must have spilled a quart of diesel on the ground just in the time to unscrew one filter and screw in the other! Wasn’t expecting that.

The Autozone near where we went to dinner had them in stock.

254982C8-121B-4489-84CB-B512231BFC99.jpeg

I think all the other cars may have a loop of rubber hose from the hard line to the prefilter. Maybe that’s the difference to get some height.

The ones with a lower than fuel level hose will act like a siphon and darn near empty the tank if left. Those clamps will get the job done.

Back