Fuel Filtration

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking to upgrade the filtering capabilities of my VW Golf TDI. There is a Cat filter that many people are using that filters to 2 microns. However, I'm curious if anyone is running bypass filtration on their fuel. Can it be/Is it done?

--Matt

Yes it can be done. Many years ago I used a Frantz fuel bypass on 2 VW diesels, and 2 gasoline trucks. No problems with them, they worked as advertised. We have a poster on here, Mykro that is running a Frantz bypass on his PSD, and I am sure that one is on his fuel. Do a search on his name.

I have been thinking the same for quite a while. I have corresponded with Ralph Wood about possibly putting a Motor Guard M-30 on my 01 Jetta. It definitely would clean the fuel but I don't know if we have the room under the hood. I would like to keep the OEM filter and add something elsr to polish the fuel.

HL

Hehe, ya, I'm concerned about the size as well. Depending on how large it is that could be a problem. I think I could fit a cat 2 next to the factory filter with some minor modifications. But Bypass would be better wouldn't it?

--Matt

The Motor Guard has the advantage of a better seal around the core of the paper. You only have one chance to get the contaminants so a one pass filter is better. The Motor Guard works very well on a Ford Powerstroke. The transfer pump is able to either pull the fuel thru or push it thru. The Motor Guard is the tightest of the tp filters so they can handle vacumm very well. You can get one GPM thru a roll of tp at 5PSI very easily. The 12 valve Cummins shouldnt operate with more than 6 hg vacuum pulling fuel from the injector pump. Not sure what the flow and vacuum requirements are for the other diesel engines. The gassers are a piece of cake. The injection system fuel pump can handle it. If you are going to invest in a fuel filter you might as well have one that can filter down to under the clearances of the pump and injectors. Two microns is better than fifteen microns. 1/10 of one micron is a lot better than two microns. Forget about the name on the filter. I put a little purolator fuel pump on my 6.9 Ford diesel to push the fuel thru. I have an over kill system on mine. I had the misfortune of getting a bad tank of fuel once in my Peugeot. Luckily I had a filtration system that didnt let anything get to the stock filter.

Ralph
burnout.gif

I think I may do this, I've been looking at a fuel pump that NAPA sells(part #610-1050) for about $35 that should be perfect for this.

--Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back