Fuel economy question on a 2016 Toyota 4Runner

Hi all BITOG'ers,

My question:

I now have a 2016 4Runner Trail Premium, which I love and expect to have for the next 15-20 years.
My friend has the exact same 2016 but it's a SR5. When he fills up, he always gets around 360 miles in the "Distance to Empty" readout. I have NEVER gotten that high since purchasing it in May. At best, I get 315.

The air filter was brand new when I got it, as was the oil. The ONLY differences between our rigs, are these:
1. I have the non-functional hood scoop, which I can't imagine costs me nearly 45 miles per tank.
2. I have a full suite of skid plates, front to back, which in theory should aid in wind resistance. He only has the TRD plate up front.

There is only one thing I can think of: The darn dipstick is nearly unreadable! It "looks" like the oil is honestly way overfilled, but it runs fine and doesn't throw any lights or have any issues. There's oil in spatters way above the "fill" mark.

Would this cause the issue?

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of variables here, with the respective weights of your right foot vs your friend's probably being the largest.

There's also the weight of your full set of (steel?) skid plates vs his partial aluminum.

Do you have larger than stock tires?

The estimate of miles-to-empty is based on currently calculated mpg.

What is your actual MPG? I have a 2017 SR5, but have never noticed what the "to empty" reading is after a fillup. I do use Fuelly to log my mileage, if you'd like to compare. http://www.fuelly.com/car/toyota/4runner/2017/cpayne5/691940

I had Nitto Terra Grapplers mounted just after purchase, so my MPG is probably a little lower than the stock Dunlops would provide. My driving is mostly rural roads with speed limits of 45-55 (so, cruising speeds of 55-65).

I have NON-10 ply tires on it. They were new when I got it, and are inflated perfectly. Normal size.
I don't drive crazy, but the digital readout always says 315 for me, and 360 for him, after a full fill up (after click-off on the pump).
The weight of my skids are around 100lbs for all four. His is probably 35lbs.

Thanks everone!

Your Trail Premium could be as much as 400 lbs heavier than his SR5 in stock form, depending on how each is equipped. Then the steel skids add more weight, plus however much weight is added in passengers and gear.

Then there are invariably differences in driving route and style. Differences in rolling resistance between specific tires, etc.

Your DTE is based on the average MPG you have been getting. You can reset your average MPG by pushing the 'DISP' button on the steering wheel until the Avg MPG readout is displayed in the gauge cluster. Then HOLD the 'DISP' button until the Avg MPG display resets to 0.0.

The Admin here can get you logged back in with your original screen name if desired.

What is your mpg? What is your friends mpg? My best guess, he gets better mpg than you. Thus, his computer predicts that he'll go farther.

Different tires and different routes can impact mpg, just like different drivers can.

45 miles per tank different. There is what, 20 gallons going in? 2.2mpg difference on something that gets 20mpg? Around 10% variance. Almost in the noise. Measurable but different tires, drivers, route, vehicle options.

Your Trail Premium could be as much as 400 lbs heavier than his SR5 in stock form, depending on how each is equipped.

Your DTE is based on the average MPG you have been getting. You can reset your average MPG by pushing the 'DISP' button on the steering wheel until the Avg MPG readout is displayed in the gauge cluster. Then HOLD the 'DISP' button until the Avg MPG display resets to 0.0.

Really on the heavier!? That would make sense.
I'll do the reset and report back.

Happy to be back in BITOG land!

It probably is estimating at highway speeds.
My Genesis will say 460 miles on a tank at first but I can only do like 350-360 max with my commute (19.5 mpg)

Really on the heavier!? That would make sense.
I'll do the reset and report back.

Happy to be back in BITOG land!

The biggest weight difference would be between a 2wd SR5, and a loaded Full-Time 4wd Limited with 3rd row seats. The 2wd SR5 has a curb weight around 4400 lbs. Whereas the loaded Limited can have a curb weight just over 4800 lbs.

Your Trail should be a bit lighter than the limited, but if it has KDSS it will be heavier than a standard Trail edition, plus your heavier aftermarket skidplates, etc.

Anyway, just a few factors to consider.

Are the rear ends geared the same? Is yours a 4wd? Are your tires more off-road oriented? Does yours have a lift or a leveling kit?

My guess is that 50% of the difference in mpg is in your feet. ;)

25% in the roads and trips you drive.

On the next tank, be much more sensitive to your take offs and slow downs. Just for kicks....

Are the rear ends geared the same? Is yours a 4wd? Are your tires more off-road oriented? Does yours have a lift or a leveling kit?

Yes, yes, no, and no.

@Gebo, I will begin to not be as heavy-footed. I don't speed but I don't go slow either.

I reset everything yesterday and we shall see how it goes.

LOL, not being accusatory. I listen to agcoauto.com Podcasts and that's what they say has the
biggest influence on our gas mileage. I tried it and it works but I cannot sustain it over months.
I am what I am....;)

I have a 2019 TRD Off Road non premium. I’m at 325miles on this tank and have not hit the light yet. I will be close to 360-370 when it does go off. No mods done it does have new tires Yokohama Geolander’s A/T on. I use 89 octane with ethanol. I’m in Oklahoma so it’s flat with occasional speed bumps.

The way I dealt with my lead foot is get an electric car; regen braking gives me 80% of the energy back. And solar panels with net metering gets me 2.3 cents per mile fuel.

Some people should shop by best fuel economy per horsepower (BMW often won that in the past) and horsepower to weight lol.

Back