Front axle seals 2005 Silverado

I have a 2005 Chevy Silverado 4x4 and early 2021 the shop tells me one of the front axle seals is leaking. Then a while later it was the other. Then it was both again, and here now both are leaking again. So now they are saying I need a whole new front differential for 3500 dollars. If find out odd that the first ones lasted 16 years, but now magically with new seals the differential is bad. Any ideas?

Welcome to BITOG 🥳

Either they used low quality aftermarket seals, installed them crooked, or is just plain crooked :sneaky:
They did they used aftermarket the first two times. But said they used OEM the last time. Now they don't want to redo them, they want to replace the differential.

They did they used aftermarket the first two times. But said they used OEM the last time. Now they don't want to redo them, they want to replace the differential.
I guess they're reasoning play at the bearings for the half shafts.....I don't actually know if there are support bearings for these or is it dependent upon the carrier bearings?

Either way all bearings are replaceable unless they've spun (highly unlikely). Maybe they figure the labor to replace bearings is equal to just ordering a turn key 3rd member?

So found out the bearings have warn a slight groove in the stub shafts. So the seals aren't doing their job. Looks like bearings, seals and stub shafts.

I guess they're reasoning play at the bearings for the half shafts.....I don't actually know if there are support bearings for these or is it dependent upon the carrier bearings?

Either way all bearings are replaceable unless they've spun (highly unlikely). Maybe they figure the labor to replace bearings is equal to just ordering a turn key 3rd member?
I did get a quote for the bearings, seals and stub shafts. If a shop did it, it would be able 1200 to 1500. Still 2000 less than a complete replacement. I just don't think they felt like dealing with it anymore.

Back