Freezing Credit Reports

Since the Equifax breach back in 2017, I've frozen my reports with all the credit bureaus, including the not-so-common Innovis and Chex Systems.

Whenever some institution needs to run my credit, I ask which bureau they'll be using and then I quickly pop online and temporarily lift the freeze from said bureau.

With identity theft & fraud being so rampant nowadays, do you guys freeze your reports or utilize some credit monitoring service?

Good time to mention that you still get a free annual report from the 3 main bureaus. You should run it each year and then keep a copy of your report on hand in case you ever need to prove idenity theft occurred.

If I understand correctly, you don't freeze the reports, you freeze the credit (line).

Whenever some institution needs to run my credit, I ask which bureau they'll be using and then I quickly pop online and temporarily lift the freeze from said bureau.
This has not been my experience. When I try to get a new card, I ask the same question. I am ALWAYS told, they don't know which one they will run because it's an automated system. I will have to unlock all of them. So I have not applied for any new card for the last 4 years. IIRC, the last time, I had to pay last time to thaw or freeze again (in NY, for some states it's free as many times you thaw or freeze again).

Reactions: JC1
Not yet, but I'm sure I'll start after I get my identity stolen for the first time...
I wouldn't wait...do something to slow down the thieves. I had an issue that may or may not have been part of the Equifax breach that made my life miserable for 18 months afterward.

I was able to freeze Experian and Transunion online, but could never get it done for Equifax.

Back