Freezer...What Do I Do Next?

The upright 12 cu ft freezer has been in my attached unheated garage for about 25 years now (a Sears Kenmore). It is in a shadow so not in direct sunlight. Has never needed repair.

Last Sat I saw it not working and was actually defrosting. Did the breaker trip? No, it was fine...the first thing I checked. I quickly removed what I wanted to save and took these to another freezer next door. I let it sit idle until Tues. Then I pulled the freezer back from its usual location thinking I would get another freezer and realized my first mistake (maybe more to come). Somehow this particular GFI outlet had tripped. Pushed the RESET button and plugged it back in and voila!...freezer sounds like it is working. The few items still in the unit did refreeze so I left things as is (mistake #2?).

Today (Fri) I notice the freezer seems to be running continually so I returned the food from next door. Guessing that an empty freezer isn’t going to help matters. Now, the question is what do I do next? The freezer is still running and my electric meter is spinning like a whirling dervish. It’s supposed to get hot today so I expect I’ll need to use the A/C.

Hopefully your guess will be better than mine.

This was a very basic bottom-tier model. If it has a timer, I don't know about it. I think the temp setting is right where it's always been...maybe a little more than halfway on the dial.

Some compressors in refrigeration units and air conditioners start running constantly, burning up power, soon before they fail. I know of a household A/C unit that ran up a $600 electric bill in one month doing that, and that was 30 years ago. Time for a new freezer. I doubt you'll find anyone willing to repair that one.

First step, unplug that thing and defrost it completely and let it dry out. Step 2, get rid of that GFI outlet that it's plugged in to, those are a tragedy waiting to happen with freezers.

What's likely happening is things partially defrosted and the thermostat is stuck on because she's froze up. Get it defrosted and dried out, usually fixes that problem. For an older unit, keep a spare start/run capacitor or a hot start kit on hand. When the freezer decides to quit it's usually the capacitor, early symptoms are a knocking sound when the compressor starts up, takes 5 minutes to change if you have one on hand and they're under $20

The unit was OFF for three days so it had to be completely defrosted. Maybe the thermostat is stuck, but don't see how it could still be frozen. I'm sure the GFI was installed due to code regulations at the time. We have several others in the kitchen. Will have to research that one. If the unit doesn't stop running soon, will make decision on a new one.

I have a Kenmore 12 cubic foot basic upright freezer from 1986 that does not self defrost. Does yours have ice buildup on the coils? If so it’s a manual defrost model. I empty mine every couple of years and wheel it out into the driveway and with the door open the ice buildup melts away in just a few hours in the hot sun. After plugging it back in it takes about 24 hours for the temp to level out. Hopefully that’s all yours needs(y). Have you priced freezers lately?o_O

First step, unplug that thing and defrost it completely and let it dry out. Step 2, get rid of that GFI outlet that it's plugged in to, those are a tragedy waiting to happen with freezers.

What's likely happening is things partially defrosted and the thermostat is stuck on because she's froze up. Get it defrosted and dried out, usually fixes that problem. For an older unit, keep a spare start/run capacitor or a hot start kit on hand. When the freezer decides to quit it's usually the capacitor, early symptoms are a knocking sound when the compressor starts up, takes 5 minutes to change if you have one on hand and they're under $20
^ ^ THIS ^ ^ I had same thing happen and this also got my old freezer going again ( complete thaw ) . Thermostat was frozen up. Yours may be faulty, needing replacement.

Last edited:
I agree with replacing the GFI outlet with a regular one. The code does have a purpose but sometimes the application doesn’t make sense.

I changed the dial to a lower (warmer) setting until the unit stopped, then I increased it a little. Will wait and watch how it acts. I've never noticed ice buildup anywhere. There have been other times when it has stopped running long enough to defrost somewhat, but afterwards it resumed normal operation. This is the first time it tripped the GFI.

Get a themometer and check the temperature inside. You should see some light ice around the top of the box. The cooling coils go around the top of the box walls to about 6 inches down. That part gets cold then the cold air falls to the bottom.

I changed the dial to a lower (warmer) setting until the unit stopped, then I increased it a little. Will wait and watch how it acts. I've never noticed ice buildup anywhere. There have been other times when it has stopped running long enough to defrost somewhat, but afterwards it resumed normal operation. This is the first time it tripped the GFI.
Make sure there's nothing downstream of the GFI on the same circuit that could also trip the GFI. I've seen strange wiring situations with GFIs in a circuit. Manufactured homes are particularly prone to this, as they'll have a GFI in one bathroom also controlling the outlets in a second bathroom and the outdoor receptacle. If the GFI trips, it could be from a fault anywhere in those three locations.

Hopefully your evaporator isn't frozen. I had to fix a refrigerator where it had been unplugged, grew mold because somebody didn't open the door, and the mold clogged the drain tube for the freezer. Cleaned up the mold, put it back in service, but after a few months noticed the refrigerator was getting warmer even though it seemed to be running constantly. Turned out the drain tube for the defrost had clogged from the mold, and the evaporator had turned into a solid block of ice. It took days to melt, and fortunately I was able to get to the drain tube to clear it out. I probably should have noticed that the bottom of the freezer was bulging up from the block of ice.

Generally, refrigerators and freezers should not be plugged into GFCIs, for the reasons you've found out.

Back