Free Firewall

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are looking for a free firewall, give Comodo Free Firewall Version 2.4 a try. Link to their web page is below.

Link To Comodo Firewall

Make sure that you run only one firewall on your system. When you run any other firewall make sure that you shut off the built-in Windows Firewall.

Thanks for the link SrDriver. I downloaded this and read about it at their website it seems really good for a free one. Thanks again.

My ISP for my dsl tells me that I don't need a firewall on my computer. The dsl box or they have it covered somehow? Is this true?

Quote:

My ISP for my dsl tells me that I don't need a firewall on my computer. The dsl box or they have it covered somehow? Is this true?

If it's hooked up to a NAT router then you have a hardware firewall blocking blatent inbound attempts to get at you; Windows Firewall does the same. BUT, neither will control OUTBOUND access to the internet. That is how full software firewalls like Comodo help out; they build a list of legitimate applications/services that are allowed outbound traffic, but if you end up with Malware, like a keylogger trojan that captures passwords/credit cards etc., and then tries to connect out from your computer to send home it's payload, it'll get stopped.

Another sweet free program I'm trying is called Dynamic Security Agent; it's an easy to you HIPS/Application firewall that also controls outbound only internet traffic. Passes all firewall leak test and is pretty freakin cool!

With most DSL ISP modems you can enter "192.168.1.1" in your browser which will bring up the settings the box that the ISP furnished you.

You can change the hardware firewall to medium or where it offers the best protection. I have a Netopia box. If you have any questions about the hardware settings, contact your ISP.

I too run a software firewall for extra protection and have tried several over the years and am comfortable with Comodo.

Just make sure if you use a software firewall that you shut off the windows built-in firewall.

There are several sites where you can test your firewall. Here is a link for one of them.

Test Your Firewall Link

Hope this answers your question.

yes, a firewall is included in the DSL modems. A nice extra touch compared to the cable modems.

However, double NAT-ing (once thru the DSL modem, another thru the wireless or wired router) has an unintended downside...I ran into a situation where eBay pages wouldn't reliably load (same with pogo.com). You'll need to change the MTU of your TCP/IP stack. If you run into this issue (some do, some don't) come back here for help.
smile.gif

If you want to see what your computer looks like from the internet side, goto grc.com and use their tool "Shields up"; It will probe for open ports @ your IP address and issue a report. A correctly configured firewall should show all ports as "stealth" meaning no service was found at that port and no "reject" was issued.

Hardware is much less trouble IMHO. Software FW used cpu resources and is less than transparent. I hate being prompted constantly. Good online habits do more good than you might think. NO clicky clicky the dancing girls!!!!!!
spankme.gif

By default Windows XP with service pack II has a software firewall enabled.

Here is an article that talks about it.
Link To Article

I recommend both a hardware and software firewall.

I am currently using Comodo.

Link To Free Firewall

If you are using a software firewall other than the one that came with Windows, you must shut off the Built-in Windows firewall for best results.

If you do a search on the net, you can find out how to shut it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back