FREE CD to MP3 ripping/converting software

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to create some CD-R discs with MP3 songs for my new upcoming car stereo.

Both on our home PC and my wife's IBM laptop we have RecordNow! software, but because it was bundled with XP, the CD to MP3 rip/convert function is disabled !!
mad.gif
Updating to the full version costs about $30.

So I was wondering if you guys know of any preferably Free good software that you guys use to convert ordinary CDs to MP3 or at least convert WMA to MP3 files.

(I searched on download.com, but could hardly find anything that would not crash my PC (reviews) or free. After about 200 of the 436 that the search brought up, i gave up)

Any advice/tips is very welcome.

Brian, Thanks

do you know where to get it. I searched, but can't decide which version to get; and it's free, right?

iTunes burns MP3's from CD's and vice-versa. It's free.

Make sure you set the iTunes settings to rip to MP3 after you first install iTunes and after every upgrade. iTunes likes to default the ripping-audio type to Apple's encrypted MP3 format.

iTunes' default is AAC - an arguably better format for the bitrate, but few devices understand it.
AAC files only have a DRM if you buy them from the Apple iTunes Store online...

Scott

ok. I have a "?" about the Cdex:

I "ripped" an Audio CD to MP3 using it, and it placed the clips (MP3) on "my Music" folder, and they appear as WMP files (Has the WMP icon, but the file extension reads MP3). The tracks appear in the WMP media library, too, in MP3 format. SO: if I burn those tracks on to a CD-R using the "copy to CD" function of the WMP, they should be placed on the CD-R as MP3 files, is that correct?

or is there a better way to get the MP3 tracks from my music folder to a CD-R?

thanks again!!!
smile.gif

already got it (cDex) installed...will play with it this pm and let you guys know.

will look at music mathch jukebox too

I've never used the copy to CD function of WMP.

I'd suggest burning the mp3 files to a data CD using your CD burning software, if you want them to be mp3 files on the CD.

I'm not sure but I suspect that WMP will burn them as redbook audio (an audio CD playable in any CD player which only holds 74 or 80 minutes of audio).

OK, Thanks. Then I'll use the RecordNow that I have, which has a function called "create a MP3 disc from files on your hard drive"...I guess that should work.

I'm also going to look for a better Cd-burning software online. I don't know if this RecordNow thing is good or not. I guess I'll find out soon.

[ March 06, 2006, 12:08 PM: Message edited by: 97tbird ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back