Frankenoil - Thoughts on Mixing Viscosities

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
There are some folks here who mix their viscosities, but it seems that a much greater number don't.

I'm curious about why people choose to mix or not mix, and if you mix, what benefits do you perceive?

FWIW, I've just started mixing using 0W-20 and 5W-30 4:1. I feel I get a little more protection, and just as important, it makes me feel good.

I only buy oil by the jug. Civic takes 4 liters and caravan takes 6 per oil change. Civic runs 5w-30 all the time, so if I have liter left in that jug and I'm doing an oil change on the Caravan, I'll mix the 5w-30 (1 liter) with whatever jug I'm using on the Caravan (usually 5w-20 or 0w-20).

I don't worry about it. Thanks to the Bitog frankenbrewers.

There are some folks here who mix their viscosities, but it seems that a much greater number don't.

I'm curious about why people choose to mix or not mix, and if you mix, what benefits do you perceive?

FWIW, I've just started mixing using 0W-20 and 5W-30 4:1. I feel I get a little more protection, and just as important, it makes me feel good.

You just answered your own question

I used to mix my oils when I was able to do my own OCI. I remember replying to FRANKENBREW threads here as far back as 2003. Do a search and you will find answers.
And, brew to your hearts content! (y)

[
I used to mix my oils when I was able to do my own OCI. I remember replying to FRANKENBREW threads here as far back as 2003. Do a search and you will find answers.
And, brew to your hearts content! (y)

Ahh ... FrankenBREW ... was looking for the wrong terminology. Thanks!

If you happen to live where it really can get quite cold... And use say a 20w-50, and a 15w50, and a bunch of 0w20.…. And it gets dien to say -19°F... It maybe quality entertainment starting your vehicle. You lose the winter rating by mixing very different w rated oils. Really you technically could say you lose any of the performance standards listed on any of the oil containers by mixing very different w rated oils and very different operating temp viscosity rated oils.

Now if you live in a fairly warm climate... It really will not matter in terms of the w rating.

I've done it off and on for 16 years with the Toyota no unfavorable results noted and the car runs well closing in on 142K miles. I often use other oils for top off no spontaneous combustion to date.

There's certainly nothing wrong with home mixing and I occasionally have to determine and develop specialty blends myself ( with the help of an OEM vendor of course) so I understand the need and process so I have a few questions for those who do...

What is the desired outcome of the blend?

Is the blend ever sent to a lab to confirm if it met whatever outcomes desired above before its used?

When used, how is the blend measured against a norm ( say the recommended oil) to determine if the blend ( and nothing else) achieved the desired results?

Just curious

Thank you

normally I won’t, but if I have two viscosities of the same brand and formulation or specifications I will. last Oil change on tacoma I used 5 quests of RGT 5w30 and 1 quart of 0w20 of RGT. No worries, but didn’t do it for any particular purpose, it was finishing oit the stash of that brand and batch.

You mean mixing 5W-20 with 10W-40 half and half doesn't give me 7.5W-30 ? :oops:

There is no 7.5W

1598992569716.png

I moved this comment to it's own thread because I don't want to derail this one (sorry):

Last edited by a moderator:
There's certainly nothing wrong with home mixing and I occasionally have to determine and develop specialty blends myself ( with the help of an OEM vendor of course) so I understand the need and process so I have a few questions for those who do...

What is the desired outcome of the blend?

Is the blend ever sent to a lab to confirm if it met whatever outcomes desired above before its used?

When used, how is the blend measured against a norm ( say the recommended oil) to determine if the blend ( and nothing else) achieved the desired results?

Just curious

Thank you

Two 5 qt Jugs M1 EP 5W-30
One 5 qt Jug M1 AFE 0W-30

'14 Ford Mustang 5.0 V-8 w/ Roush Supercharger & Track Pack Oil Cooler - 9 qt

'18 Ford F150 3.5 Ecoboost - 6 qt

Goal - Fill both vehicles without buying more oil.

Mustang gets 4 qt EP + 5 qt AFE (It gets low miles and changes to 15W-50 Track Oil on occasion)

Truck gets 6 qt EP (It gets more miles and is under warranty).

Objections?

Back