Francis Scott Key Bridge (Baltimore) hit by Cargo Ship and Collapsed

I passed through the I-95 tunnel south bound at around 4PM yesterday, very little traffic, but I was going against traffic.

Since it's a toll bridge you would think that they would know how many vehicles were on at least one side of the span and who they were.
I heard a talking head say the port was completely closed yesterday even to trucks? The real issue will be when the channel is open but no bridge for ground transport.

"The cost of rebuilding the bridge has been estimated at more than $600 million, according to a Sky News report."
I question that amount.... There is a plan to rebuild a bridge across the Ohio River from Cincinnati to N KY and the number is $1 billion, as I recall. It's a shorter and simpler bridge too, if I'm not mistaken.

I'd be surprised if they "repair" this. Someone will deem it too risky and that the "best" thing to do is start over.
I was referring to the parts that fell into the water, meaning those parts might be completely replaced, but I would expect the elevated roadway over the water on both sides to be reused. My main point being that if that's the case, you really can't compare things like initial construction time or cost to today's timeline or cost, because they are really completely different things.

For some reason ships are not under the assistance of tugs going under the bridge. I went out of there on a cruise ship and let me tell you we were flying under that thing. I will never forget that.
How many ships have passed under without a tug in the last 50 years?

I watch the ships coming out of Charleston Harbor all the time without a tug. Perhaps that will change now?

Several years ago I was working the night shift at the docks on the Houston Ship Channel. It was a little windy, and a ship was coming in hot with a tailwind toward a sharp curve right before the Washburn Tunnel. I could see sparks coming from the anchor chain as they dropped it. I believe they still had power as they were able to go where they needed to go in a few minutes. I thought the anchor might damage the tunnel but the ship stopped before it got to it. The anchor didn't seem to do too much. Something to see.

It's a bridge repair not a complete replacement. This is going to probably be within the insured amount. However I suspect that one or more of the insured parties might declare bankruptcy to get out of paying.
What about loss of business claims of any affected areas. If the port is shutdown who is paying the workers etc? It goes on and on.

I question that amount.... There is a plan to rebuild a bridge across the Ohio River from Cincinnati to N KY and the number is $1 billion, as I recall. It's a shorter and simpler bridge too, if I'm not mistaken.
A measurable chunk of that will be buying up real estate on both sides to build the approaches. Hopefully it’s less expensive replacing a structure with an existing right of way.

Back