Francis Scott Key Bridge (Baltimore) hit by Cargo Ship and Collapsed

That's awful. Stating the obvious, I'm thinking the ship's captain here is in Huge trouble. Deep ----

For me, brings back memories of the Sunshine Skyway bridge disaster in Tampa Bay.

Apparently the ship lost power, regained it, and showed evidence of engine trouble. It was found with the port anchor dropped and aft of the ship, meaning it had dragged. She was trying to slow down.

Like many man-made tragedies, it appears this was the result of a specific cascade of events. We’ll see if there was significant negligence involved.

That is horrible, as most of you know I was the piloting radar operator on a few different submarines for years. I always hated operating in high traffic, low visibility, narrow channels. Sucks for everyone involved especially if it was a mechanical failure. I will still wake up out of dead sleep to this day after a dream where I am sitting on the radar and we hit something or someone. I hope they find everyone alive, but man that thing came down quick.

That piece of fire damaged highway in California involved a week's worth of closure but doubtless there was additional rerouting during the fix.

This, however, is going to run into time.
Serious rerouting...serious trip consolidation....use of other routes, 24 hours a day, is needed.

Emergency / temporary bus service is needed through the other river crossings to serve "newly created" transportation nodes on either side.
Don't cry if the local authorities ban single occupant cars.<<Nasty sarcasm, I know, but people whine and howl stupidly all the time.

I've always heard that Baltimore is the USA's #1 drug importation site.
I wonder if a shortage of illegal drugs, and subsequent increases in prices, will increase crime?

To Thermo1223: Is that Newark Delaware or New Jersey? We were just in Easton last week. pub, 3rd & Ferry, had a great time.

I have traveled both on and under that bridge. Thank God it didn't happen during rush hour. There would have been hundreds of cars and trucks on the bridge.
Same. It's not unusual for this bridge to be bumper to bump in both directions during drive time.
Besides the possible lives lost here, the logistical impacts this is going to create is going to be a nightmare.
Absolutely, this is the entrance and exit of the Baltimore Harbor. I'm sure they will be working to get the debris out of the water and clear that shipping lane ASAP, if they aren't already.

Silly question from a non-engineer, but where are the bridge pier protectors, to keep this from happening?

A negative person might say the money ran out because of where it was built, and the "extras" were not done.

I know, tin foil hat comment, right?
I am an engineer (structural) by schooling and curious why the typical concrete deflectors not in place but hard to tell in the video pic. I know certain vector it won’t matter. That all being said locally they use tugs even if not attached in case of this but currents are nuts.

Hopefully some miracles happen finding those folks.

That piece of fire damaged highway in California involved a week's worth of closure but doubtless there was additional rerouting during the fix.

This, however, is going to run into time.
Serious rerouting...serious trip consolidation....use of other routes, 24 hours a day, is needed.

Emergency / temporary bus service is needed through the other river crossings to serve "newly created" transportation nodes on either side.
Don't cry if the local authorities ban single occupant cars.<<Nasty sarcasm, I know, but people whine and howl stupidly all the time.

I've always heard that Baltimore is the USA's #1 drug importation site.
I wonder if a shortage of illegal drugs, and subsequent increases in prices, will increase crime?

To Thermo1223: Is that Newark Delaware or New Jersey? We were just in Easton last week. pub, 3rd & Ferry, had a great time.
Newark, NJ

Nice! Bar or table service? Hopefully you got Lauren at the bar!

Back