Fram Ultra XG6607 cut open - 14k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a Fram Ultra XG6607 cut open off my 2010 Subaru Forester. It was run for 2 OCI, total ~14k miles and 14 months. No issues, looked great. Silicon anti drain back valve was still very pliable.

345hgnn.jpg

dfaiwj.jpg

zwyj9y.jpg

1z4z7yg.jpg

It does look like an oil filter, only smaller. (lol)

Looks good. Doing every other oil change with a modern engine and synthetic oil looks like a good idea.

Wow.. that IS a tiny filter. Same one used on my 2014 Altima. Supposedly, the 7317 is the 'oversize equivalent' to this filter. Can't say from personal experience, though.

Yep. I use the 7317 on my Altima 3.5 coupe. The 6607 looks like it ought to be on a Briggs and Stratton. The generation of VQ35 was specd for the 7317. This 6607 does look good though. Thanks for the work on this dissection
smile.gif

Last edited:
The psi rating on the 7317 is exactly the same with both, thread size, gasket size obviously too. Is there more media?? More than likely but they both need to be cut down and measured to see what is really the case. At minimum I like having the upsize one because its easier to get a handle on. If that's all I truly get out of it I'm fine with that.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
The psi rating on the 7317 is exactly the same with both, thread size, gasket size obviously too. Is there more media?? More than likely but they both need to be cut down and measured to see what is really the case.

The 7317 will definitely have more media than the 6607.

XG6607 = 2.63" long
XG7317 = 3.47" long

Also as Zee0Six pointed out a while back, the 9688 and 7317 are almost the same size. (I always assumed they were a bit larger.)

The 3 have the same gasket/ bypass, but while the 9688 is larger in diameter, it is slightly shorter than the 7317.

I use the 9688 size in the garden tractor though and it just fits. I worry the 7317's additional length would rub on the hood.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back