Fram Ultra XG3600 C&P

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first C&P and I'm gonna go ahead and take ownership of how terrible it is lol. I tried to use a pipe cutter in the shop at work to no avail. I ended up using a small hack saw. Lessons have been learned in how to cut a filter better.

This came off of my 2002 Ford Ranger Edge with the 3.0 Vulcan and is currently at 68k original miles. I treated it as a severe service with the OCI at only 1100 miles with Castrol Edge HM 5w30 because it was the first change after buying the truck over a month ago and it had cruddy looking conventional Castrol 5w20 in the sump with a purolator filter from the previous owner. The oil is pretty dark in color to only have 1100 miles on it so I figure it was the synthetic I put in it cleaning. The crud you see in the can is from my awesome job with the hacksaw, not debris in the filter. The catch pan has a lot of brass shavings in it from a bull gear in a gear box we rebuilt a couple weeks ago.

https://imgur.com/a/IuXWssq

Last edited:
The media was perfectly unscathed until I pulled it out of the can so that line across the media you see in one of the pics is from me getting it out.

Other than cleaning, why would a full synthetic turn that dark in just 1100 miles in use over the course of a month?

Originally Posted by NavyVet88
Other than cleaning, why would a full synthetic turn that dark in just 1100 miles in use over the course of a month?

The media looks normal for being oil saturated. You might have to invest in a filter cutter.
grin2.gif
Thanks for the C&P.

Currently have the same filter with another healthy dose of Castrol Edge 5w30 back in the sump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back