Fram ultra filter XG 10158

Has anyone used Fram ultra XG10158 in their 4runner? It is almost three times the price of OEM or WIX 57173, Fram ultra is made in Korea while the Wix Is made in China. There is no metal mesh in Fram ultra, is it worth to use it over Toyota or WIX oil filter?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220601-200601.jpg
    Screenshot_20220601-200601.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot_20220601-200709.jpg
    Screenshot_20220601-200709.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 22
Mahle makes a great filter for your Toyota :)

The Mann HU7009z is also a good choice, if you can find it

Last edited:
Here is my 2 cents as to why I stick with Toyota or TRD filters on Toyota cartridge filters: Wix and others use hard plastic for the endcaps, while structurally strong, hard plastic pressing against metal doesn't seal, there is no give, so, it seems to me that there is a good possibility that dirty oil could seep through the plastic to metal seal. Whereas the Toyota filter has the rubbery seal on each end that seals pretty tightly around the center tube, so it seems much less likely that dirty oil will sneak by there. I throw a dab of oil on each of the Toyota filter's "endcaps" and slide it onto the center tube. I realize that both the Wix and the Fram probably have better filtration numbers, but I'd rather have lower filtration numbers, but filtering at or near 100% of the oil over better stats while possibly letting dirty oil sneak by. Just a thought that may have been pointed out previously, I'm not sure, but figured I'd throw it out there. Hope it makes sense.

Here is my 2 cents as to why I stick with Toyota or TRD filters on Toyota cartridge filters: Wix and others use hard plastic for the endcaps, while structurally strong, hard plastic pressing against metal doesn't seal, there is no give, so, it seems to me that there is a good possibility that dirty oil could seep through the plastic to metal seal. Whereas the Toyota filter has the rubbery seal on each end that seals pretty tightly around the center tube, so it seems much less likely that dirty oil will sneak by there. I throw a dab of oil on each of the Toyota filter's "endcaps" and slide it onto the center tube. I realize that both the Wix and the Fram probably have better filtration numbers, but I'd rather have lower filtration numbers, but filtering at or near 100% of the oil over better stats while possibly letting dirty oil sneak by. Just a thought that may have been pointed out previously, I'm not sure, but figured I'd throw it out there. Hope it makes sense.
I didn't know that Toyota uses rubber endcaps, I thought it is plastic like wix that kind of attention to detail is typical of Toyota. It makes sense rubber is creates a better seal than plastic. Thanks for your insight.

I didn't know that Toyota uses rubber endcaps, I thought it is plastic like wix that kind of attention to detail is typical of Toyota. It makes sense rubber is creates a better seal than plastic. Thanks for your insight.
Yes sir, happy to help. It's kind of a harder rubber, but if you hold one in your hand, you will get a feel for what I'm talking about.

Back