Fram CA9600 AF vs Honda OEM Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
First the back story. Had planned on a different thread about buying another CA 9600 for ~$13.50 as opposed to the Honda oem with a suggested retail price of ~$27. Honda retail price is the lowest I've been able to negotiate to in the past for things like Z-1. H&A has the oem for ~$20.80, but after shipping their price is worse than retail. For haha's I called the closest dealer for a price check on the Honda AF, parts person responded $22.55 which surprised me based on past experience. Being only ~$1.75 more than H&A price I decided to purchase the Honda oem and compare.

The CA 9600 has ~30k miles on it, was made in Isreal has 44 pleats and more of a fuzzy felt like media, similar to/same as the new Fram 8911 shown in this thread. Cost was ~$13.50.

The Honda OEM came wrapped in cello and has 43 pleats and says assembled in the US. The media seems to be more of a cellulose type but I also noted an oily feel to the media on the blue/green fresh air side of the media. The other difference seen in pics 2&3 is the rigid frame and thus the pleats extend ~1/2" more on the throttle body side of the filter. So, the width from the side seen in pic 3 is ~1&1/2" for the Fram, ~2" for the Honda OEM.

Is the Honda worth ~$9 than Fram AF, no idea. Not much information out there on any air filter specs. The media's seem different so I can't say the the extra width/pleat depth of the oem means a thing. Both seem to have a good quality gasket and would look to make a good seal.

Making no judgement one way or the other, just reporting what I found. Used many Fram EG AF's over the years with afaik good results. Can't remember the last time I purchased other than a Fram AF.

02a31ccb-3331-44d1-bed5-5535c78787fd.jpg

d12f1189-132d-462d-8a66-43034c38ad7a.jpg

60d4cad1-75ed-49f2-ad35-ba8d8befb2db.jpg

IMO that white filter is nowhere near the end of it's service life. Put it back and run it another 5-10k miles. FWIW--Oldtommy

Yeah, that Honda filter you pulled out is very gently used it appears.

Hold it up to sunlight, if it glows through your good to use it longer.

Just in the interest of economy, if I'm following the gist of this thread to begin with.

Also, a slightly plugged AF filters finer particles better
smile.gif

Tommy, you could well be right. Took the Accord in for power steering pump line recall and they did their multi point inspection as part of the procedure. The air filter and cabin filter were two things they red checked. CAF was dirty, had one here waiting so I installed it. Skeptical about the AF so I checked my maintenance book and it did say that it had been in service for 30k. That is about what I consider an average AF fci. Might have gone a bit longer, difficult to know but I'll consider it.

Suppose this situation is why J Allen likes to point to using a 'filter minder' to have a more accurate way of knowing AF's useful life. I realize especially in AF's longer is better for efficiency.

Honda filter and Air Filter minder would be your best option. The cost of the Filter Minder pays for its self the first time you get an extra interval out of your current filter.

I have not been able to find an aftermarket AF that uses the fine oil mist on the element that is on the OEM Honda Filter. You will see the oil in the shipping bag.

I did order a Denso First Time Fit filter for inspection, it was only $13 on RockAuto.

The best prices I have found for the OEM Honda filters is Curryacuraparts.com the quoted prices include shipping.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zmelli
I have not been able to find an aftermarket AF that uses the fine oil mist on the element that is on the OEM Honda Filter. You will see the oil in the shipping bag.

The Purolator Pure One is oiled.

Thanks for the pics. I'm about 30K on my honda filter. I may pop it out and if it looks like yours I may reinstall it. May add a filter minder. Why waste a good filter.

I think he stated the FRAM was the white filter he took out. The colored one is the NEW Honda filter.

I think I would be more than comfortable with the FRAM over the Honda with the cost savings and the "hairy" media is actually a good thing when trapping dirt. Plus the Fram appears to have more media and they are closer together creating even more filter area.

The Honda is not worth $9 more than the Fram.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back