Fram are good enough for me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I own 2 GM cars.One 3.1 and one 3.4.

1- One of the major problems reported on Fram is:

ABDV, I dont care about it silicone , or nitrile, or nothing, that makes no difference to me , the filters are mostly in a vertical position and the oil cannot leak out of them.

2- second biggest complaint is the by pass valve. I dont care about it since GM put their in the filter mounting block.

3- One of brand of filters giving the best flow was Fram during the filter test IIRC. I like that a lot.

4- Filtration now, afaik they are equal to most of the competition

5-Finnaly they are great in a discussion to stir the pot a little too
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Baveux:
[QB] I own 2 GM cars.One 3.1 and one 3.4.

I also own GM cars. Here's my take:
quote:

1- One of the major problems reported on Fram is:
ABDV, I dont care about it silicone , or nitrile, or nothing, that makes no difference to me , the filters are mostly in a vertical position and the oil cannot leak out of them.

That's great, but if the ADBV allow oil to bypass the filter completely then it does matter.
 -

Also an ADBV can help keep oil in the passages above the filter, even when it's vertical.

quote:

2- second biggest complaint is the by pass valve. I dont care about it since GM put their in the filter mounting block.

Your right we don't have to worry about bypass valves.
grin.gif

quote:

3- One of brand of filters giving the best flow was Fram during the filter test IIRC. I like that a lot.

If you read further into that test you'll notice that the Fram didn't do so well later on, it was in bypass for the first test.

www.oilfilterstudy.com shows Fram flowing mid pack.
quote:

Above link shows the extra guard again about mid pack
quote:

wink.gif

Of course always a debate. Here's one for you: Why use the Fram when there's almost always a Champion filter available for less money?

1 A properly functioning ADBV keeps the oil above the filter, above the filter.

2 A stuck shut bypass does not hurt with one in the engine, but a stuck open one lets unfiltered oil into the bearings.

3 Perhaps because the bypass is stuck open.

4 So where is the data on how well a filter with a half to a third the media flows near the end of an OCI?

5 We really don't need that.

Haven't bought anything except GM since 1970.

Haven't bought a Fram since I saw inside one.

As far as fram goes i feel that the tough guard filters are acceptable and the X2 filters are ok but both are way overpriced.

I can get a nice wix or a purolator pureone oil filter for the price of a tg filter and wix and pureone is WAY better than a tg.

As far as i am concerned the fram extraguard
thumbsdown.gif
(AKA the orange can of doom) is best used as a paper weight or maybe a bright orange marker to put on top of a post at the end of your driveway so you can see it in the dark and not hit the post with your car and not as an oil filter!

The Fram doubleguard
thumbsdown.gif
is an overpriced piece of junk preclogged oil filter that is also best suited as a paper weight or thrown in the trash!

I would not put an extraguard or doubleguard oil filter on any of my cars(gm,ford,chrysler or whatever)even if it was given too me!
spaz.gif

If you like Fram go ahead and use them, I sometimes think we can over kill it a bit, the reality is most people who change their oil use frams anyways, not great but good enough I guess.

quote:

Originally posted by T-Keith:

but if the ADBV allow oil to bypass the filter completely then it does matter.

I really can't see how that can happen, its rubber, not concrete ;-)

-

Also an ADBV can help keep oil in the passages above the filter, even when it's vertical.

Let me disagree with this one too..the oil passage aren't pressurized , the oil leak back and what stays in will not change with filters brand

quote:

Your right we don't have to worry about bypass valves.
grin.gif

Wow , consensus, where is the beer ;-)

quote:

If you read further into that test you'll notice that the Fram didn't do so well later on, it was in bypass for the first test.

www.oilfilterstudy.com shows Fram flowing mid pack.
quote:

Above link shows the extra guard again about mid pack
quote:

wink.gif

Of course always a debate. Here's one for you: Why use the Fram when there's almost always a Champion filter available for less money? [/QB][/QUOTE]

Not a lot of choice here in Canada, Fram are cheaper and available everywhere, yes we have carquest and UAP where we can get Wix clone, but even, they cost about 3.00 more, and the last time I bought 2 Carquest gold they where not even looking the same ....inside and out, so are they really wix all the time ...

I am pretty sure that one would be able to run todays car without oil filters ( after break in period )we cannot creates that much metal filling and shrapnel when you can drive a car for over 200000 miles .

Do you know somebody analysing filters with a microscope and measuring the size of the contaminents ???

quote:

Originally posted by MustangGT:
If you like Fram go ahead and use them, I sometimes think we can over kill it a bit, the reality is most people who change their oil use frams anyways, not great but good enough I guess.

Mustang...its not that I like Fram, but in MY application they cannot be worse. Their weakeness arent coming into play

Glad you are posting this. My Stepfather has a Cossica with a 3.1, and he loves those Fram filters. He has a years supply of Totalgrip(Purolator Premium Plus) as a gift from me. I felt sorry for his car. So, maybe I should just let go and let him Fram.

Stop putting the boot into Fram, Thousands of Vehicles have em fitted and running down the Highway with the Orange can doing its job Filtering the old muck out of your oil so your motor will last a lonngggg time. Good on ya FRAM, in the Orange can,I dont give a Dam, Just ask Uncle Sam.
lol.gif

Baveux,

Gimmie a break with the ornage can of doom recommendation.

Look at the cardboard endcaps warping on these filters instead of quoting nonsense statistics about the filter's flow rate etc....

They have been proven time and time again to be complete garbadge that will warp with time and allow unfiltered oil to enter back into the engine.

Ignorance is bliss I guess in your case.

Did you see the pic I posted? That's from a PH3387, a GM filter.

Here's some more:
 -

-

-T

P.S. I found the beer.
cheers.gif

Is AC-Delco not available in Canada? My AC air filters are actually made in Canada. Wix is a few more bucks but worth it over the Fram. Not only better construction, but your insolubles "might" be lower.

The Fram 3387A does not have a by-pass built in,this is a filter that is used on GM products.

GM has the by-pass built into the engine.

The 3387A is the alternative for the AC-Delco PF-47.

I have not used a Fram oil filter in a few years now but I used to use them and only used others on occassion.

The car I used them on the most was a 1984 Chevy with a 4-cyl engine.

The car had around 84K on it when I bought it.

The mileage on it now is around 162-164,000 miles.

It ran good and used little if any oil between changes when I drove it.

The engine had no major work on it during that time.

I did and still do the 3K/3 month oil change.

Will a Fram harm a car in 3K miles?

I dont know.

Will one fail in 3K miles?

I dont know.

[ March 26, 2005, 02:02 PM: Message edited by: motorguy222 ]

I say this:

Anyone who wants to use Fram filters should use them. You'll only get what you deserve - nothing more, nothing less.
smile.gif

Baveux

Good for you..
cheers.gif

I wonder if those who say that oil will seep past the anti-drain or by-pass valve on a filter that hangs under the engine might expain how? After all the filter is full of oil when you shut the motor off....isn't it?
cool.gif

How much oil do you think the filter sucks in past the ADBV when the engine shuts off?

As for nitrile/buna anti-drains...funny for 20 odd years it was the only rubber material used. Until someone wanted to upgrade and use something different even if it added to the cost of the product. Which went against the grain of keeping costs down.

Now that people know silicon is a better product under certain conditions, amazing how the talk of nitrile/buna is it is less than desirable.
wink.gif

Fram spelled backwards is "marF" and that's reason a-plenty to shun the orange-colored can of doom. Well, for me anyway. And that's all I have to say about that.

Yep.

by golly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back