Forscan is such a neat tool

For any who have used Forscan (a free Ford/Lincoln/Mercury Windows programming tool), I’m sure you’ll agree. I’ve used it to diagnose actual problems like a bad O2 sensor with live data, etc. But the most fun I have with it is enabling features that are hidden from the factory, or features that are implied given the capabilities of the vehicle. For example, I activated daytime running lamps on our 2011 Fusion. Lately, I’ve been using Forscan to tinker with the DRL and other exterior lighting characteristics of a new-to-us 2016 Explorer 2.3 EB AWD. I’ve enabled the rear parking/running lights to come on whenever the DRL’s come on (always trying to be more visible on the road). I’ve also enabled a cornering light mode for the fog lamps. True, they’re not aimed like a dedicated cornering lamp would be, but as someone who never runs fog lamps for “foggy” conditions since most of them are pretty useless for that purpose anyway, putting them to somewhat of a good use is just cool. Now anytime I activate a turn signal, or move the wheel roughly 10 degrees from center, the corresponding fog lamp will turn on, and extinguish when the wheel returns to center. You can tinker with so much more, too. Many options like this are vehicle-dependent, and even trim level dependent, even being dictated sometimes by which gauge cluster you have. But it’s amazing to see the customization that is built in from the factory, but hidden to the consumer.

Where and how does one obtain this? I'd like to get 5 blinks from the courtesy turn signal not the 3 I get by default. Hyundai lets the user choose 3, 4, 5, or 6 blinks. Can't see why others can't do that. Oh, and I want the doors to lock as soon as I shift out of park, not at 12mph or whatever dumb thing it is.

Last edited:
Where and how does one obtain this? I'd like to get 5 blinks from the courtesy turn signal not the 3 I get by default. Hyundai lets the user choose 3, 4, 5, or 6 blinks. Can't see why others can't do that.
You download the software off the internet....You'll need a ELM327 dongle (Preferably with a High Speed/Low Speed CAN toggle switch)

The Mustang guys go nuts with Forscan. Gigantic chatboard threads where they share all the found setting possible with Forscan.

There's also a module for keys so you can add and remove keys without having to go to the dealer or locksmith if you just have one key.

I went from a 2001 Taurus to a 2008 Mercedes E350. My Mercedes has the active curve illumination so not only does the headlights swivel about 12 degrees to the right or left, but the fog light also comes on when you give the steering wheel a little turn. Shuts off slowly too like a fade instead of snapping on and off. I suppose it's kinda handy on dark streets, lets you see the curb easier.

There’s also AlfaOBD for Mopar’s and VCDS for VW group vehicles that do the same thing, though I know the 2016+ Mopars you must bypass the OBDII “security gateway” for it to function properly.

Used it on two police interceptors to program in remote keyless entry and to activate remote start. The latter being more of a party trick than something useful, but still interesting.

I use it on my trucks to enable police mode. Gets rid of the annoying double beep and won't let the truck be put in gear without the dongle present. Also changed my blink time and some light settings.

I use it on my trucks to enable police mode. Gets rid of the annoying double beep and won't let the truck be put in gear without the dongle present. Also changed my blink time and some light settings.
What is police mode? What double beep? Blink time as in the 3 blinks when nudging the signal lever? That's one I'd really like to change to 5 blinks. If Forscan does that I'd buy their recommended OBDII gizmo just to be able to do that.

Where and how does one obtain this? I'd like to get 5 blinks from the courtesy turn signal not the 3 I get by default. Hyundai lets the user choose 3, 4, 5, or 6 blinks. Can't see why others can't do that. Oh, and I want the doors to lock as soon as I shift out of park, not at 12mph or whatever dumb thing it is.

I've been wanting to get ForScan for a while for the 5.0 (forgetting and procrastinating). One of the reasons I got a used laptop, too.

Basic changes for me: See if there is an option to keep the stereo playback paused when you restart the car. How Ford thought this was a great idea boggles me! Its normal to me with every other CD/USB stereo I've had that playback stays paused upon restart.
And: Change the 12V power timer down to about a minute when the car is turned off. Having it run for...I don't know...10-15 minutes is useless to me. I have a dashcam there.

Forscan has been useful to do things like reset the BMS, enable a subwoofer after install that used to be a dealer only item, changed a few other minor settings. Mostly used it on my 2016 F150. Haven't tinkered with the 2021 Explorer much. Also useful for troubleshooting and diagnosing issues. All in all a cheap investment that is useful in the Ford universe.

What is police mode? What double beep? Blink time as in the 3 blinks when nudging the signal lever? That's one I'd really like to change to 5 blinks. If Forscan does that I'd buy their recommended OBDII gizmo just to be able to do that.

This thread has all the info you need for a truck

Back