Formulations to Enhance Engine Efficiency

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAG

Lubricant Formulations to Enhance Engine Efficiency in Modern Internal Combustion Engines
https://www.osti.gov/servlets/purl/1351980

This was a three year long effort and they did some great work. Some things I thought were particularly neat were:
- Separate oil for the valvetrain from the oil in the rest of the engine. Thicker for the valvetrain since in that engine, it reduced total friction. The thinner oil in the rest of the engine reduced friction due to the more prevalent hydrodynamic lubrication regime there. The fuel leak into the valvetrain oil was unfortunate, considerably reducing the viscosity, and messing up the intent of having higher viscosity there.
- Testing viscosity at 10e-6/s and 10e-7/s shear rates. The higher shear rate reduced the viscosity even more than the lower shear rate did. They also tested viscosity at 100 C and 150 C at 1e-6/s shear rate. Newtonian and non-Newtonian oils were tested. The supposedly Newtonian oil still showed shear thinning, so it wasn’t truly Newtonian, but it was much closer to it than the 15W-40 oils were.
- Tested friction and viscosity modifiers. In the cylinders, it would be ideal for reducing total friction by reducing viscosity below 150 C and increasing it above 150 C. The latter is true because of boundary regime caused by the oil temperatures in the upper part of the cylinder being near 200 C, combined with low piston speed, and high pressure (during expansion). This should also reduce wear.
- A dumbbell base oil blend (mix of thin and thick) caused the more volatile part evaporate quickly enough in the very hot upper cylinder area to significantly increase the oil viscosity, right where that extra viscosity is needed.
- Increasing flow rate to the valvetrain decreased total friction, apparently by decreasing asperity contact...moving the regime to the right on the Stribeck curve, where total friction is lower. That surprised me.
- Fuel dilution effects were tested

When I did Mech Eng, we did some lubricant "optimisation" for the various points in the engine.

It was clear that the valve train and crankshaft needed entirely disparate lubricants...not to mention the pistons and rings...but alas we use a common sump and have the compromises in the various regimes.

The Big (really big) diesel engines use different lubes for the crankcase and the pistons/rings (like 100TBN for the ocean going diesels for the pistons).

Do you think separate oil for the valvetrain will go into common use before combustion engines are no longer used for automobiles? I think there is a decent chance. It doesn’t seem like it would be all that difficult/expensive to implement, and automakers have been desperate to get even small gains in efficiency.

Hmmm.... so the "thin is in" crowd is trading reduced boundary protection for improved hydrodynamic losses... but the "I like 'em thick" crowd is right as well! Who knew?

Originally Posted By: "white paper"
As multigrades with lower viscosity are used, a decrease in hydrodynamic friction is realized at the cost of an increase in boundary friction as shown in modeling results shown in Figure 17. Boundary friction is experienced at low velocities, so it has a relatively low impact on the overall friction response. As a result, when changing from the 15W40 to the 5W20 oil the boundary friction losses increase 45% while hydrodynamic losses decrease 25% as expected from the roughly 40% decrease in viscosity. Total losses decrease by 13% for the given condition. The increase in boundary friction is accompanied by an increased wear concern.

Thanks for the read, JAG!

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
Hmmm.... so the "thin is in" crowd is trading reduced boundary protection for improved hydrodynamic losses... but the "I like 'em thick" crowd is right as well! Who knew?
Any one knowing how oil works. This site has more misformation and marketing regurgitating that any site I peruse. It is entertaining though

On Page 49, "...Doubling lubricant flow rate, through greater feed pressures, reduced valve train friction by
approximately 10% as shown in Figure 37 [2]. The savings are on the same order as the increase
in pumping loss, so more in depth study is warranted to optimize the lubricant flow rate for the
given system...."

Wouldn't this be a function of the oil's dwell time and subsequent heating (temperature rise)?

So, if the oil film is kept at a lower temperature by decreasing the oil's dwell time at the valve train, i.e by increasing oil flow, or increased oil exchange from hotter to cooler oil, would not this not be a viable solution over having two different viscosity oils in the same engine?

It seems to me to be a Thermodynamic problem to be solved.

35.gif

Perhaps so, Molakule. An analysis of alternatives (AoA) on the matter would be really interesting to see. It should include optimizing the valvetrain oil in terms of viscometrics and additives. An optimal one would likely be quite different from motor oils. The AoA should also look into hardware optimization for separate valvetrain oil and for optimizing valvetrain lubrication with single oil supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back