Barium 0

SUS Viscosity@210°F 59.0

cSt Viscosity@100°C 9.94

Flashpoint in °F 425

Water % 0.0

Insolubles % 0.0

TBN 8.8

Last edited:
Oh thank you so much - I have 4 cases of that stuff!
crazy2.gif
lol.gif

That's a pretty nice hit of boron in there for such a low cost oil! Should help keep the engine nice and clean!

Originally Posted By: tpitcher
Oh thank you so much - I have 4 cases of that stuff!
crazy2.gif
lol.gif

Yeah that ^ X2. Thank you for posting. I also bought a case of 10w30 because that's the only grade that Costco had it in. It's nice to see it look pretty good on paper.

WOW, I am going to go stock up, that is a top notch blend at only 2.50 a quart, good value for an oil burner!

Thanks for doing the VOA and your post. I have a nice stash of the API-SM, GF-4 Dino from the closeout sales at AAP and Target. Wow... a nice strong TBN of 8.8! Nice add pack of Moly, Boron, Phosphorous and Zinc for some hard driving.

IMO....Formula Shell Dino and the Shell Rotella oils must use very good base oils, very similar, the way they hold up in heat and severe driving conditions.

I do have some API-SN, GF-5 Dino that I'll use in a mix with the Formula Shell Synthetic from BJ's and Shell Rotella Triple Protection, Diesel Dino oils in 10W-30 and 15W-40.

I ran a mixed blend of Formula Shell Dino, 5w-30 and Shell Rotella, Triple Protection, Dino 10w-30 from late Spring to September and my T4R ran smooth as silk all summer long in the heat and long trips. I ran the mix 50/50 for just over 7K miles.

The oil most likely could be run longer but it was long enough with the Purolator Classic Filter.

The oil came out dark like molasses but not thick....the color of Guinness Stout. The combo of Diesel Dino for cleaning and the add pack in Formula Shell, can't be beat for running Dino oils in the heat of the summer.

Now if SHELL would get their product data sheets straightened out . Both are identical . Here tey are for the SN/GF-5 conventional and the synthetic . Also providing a sheet for the SHELL full synthetic from CANADA for comparison . http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GPCDOC_X_cbe_24855_key_140003596613_201007092226.pdf , http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GPCDOC_X_cbe_24855_key_140003596099_201007081845.pdf , and http://www-static.shell.com/static/can-en/downloads/shell_for_businesses/oils_lubricants/1-37.pdf ( Canadian ) .

Originally Posted By: k24a4
what does your dad drive, limjim, and what grades do you use?

Two Chevy's with a 4.3L Vortec("Vortex") engines. 5w-30.

FS has always been a really good oil, just not promoted as much as the bigger SOPUS names (PYB, QS).

You used to not see this oil around at all....but in the last 6-8 months or so, since SN oils really started to hit the shelves, I've seen a LOT more of it in different stores. Good to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back