Forklift eng oil ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a used Toyota LP forklift. Have not been able to talk to previous owner. Need to add a little engine oil. Have 15w40 for HD diesels. Any idea what oil is most used in LP Forklift's ? Might be about a 99 yr machine.

That 15W-40 will work,

But make sure to change the oil filter too!

Also look to see if there is an oversized filter available, if it will fit...

Your supposed to use a low ash oil in LP powered engines. A larger oil filter is not needed unless you don't maintain changing the oil & filter as prescribed by Toyota.
I'm a diesel semi mechanic at UPS. We have a growing fleet of semis burning CNG. Those trucks use a lower ash oil to prevent valve seat recession. You shouldn't use just any diesel oil in a LP or CNG engine.

My understanding valve recession is caused by metal to metal contact, where the valve and seat momentarily weld themselves together, and over time this eats at the material and the valve recesses as a result. Ash has always been said to be beneficial in reducing this welding process, much like but not nearly as successful as the Famed leaded race fuel does, providing a powder like cushioning between valve and seat.

As far as I know low ash is more gear towards emmisions and cat converter life and nothing to do with valve recession.

Been using oversized filters for 30+ years.
So long as the bypass pressure is the same, and it fits...

Using a Fram 7317 instead of a 6607,
And a Fram 3600 instead of a 3614...

A little diesel oil won't hurt, a lot may require a low ash oil.

We have an Isuzu powered LP forklift at work. Its been running 15w40 since 2007 when I started there. Every time I sign the work order it's 15w40. The lift has many, many hours of HARD runs. This includes temps of over 100* to 5* (yes it can get that cold in Mississippi) Popped the oil fill cap the other day and besides a little varnish, it's all good. From Rotella, to Delo, its had every brand accountable in there.

My HDEO of choice has the ok for lp on the label, so as a guess CJ-4 lube should be a non issue.

Any 10w-30 straight 30 depending on temps or 15w-40 HDEOs.I worked at a forklift dealership from 1979 until I retired in 2000.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Your supposed to use a low ash oil in LP powered engines. A larger oil filter is not needed unless you don't maintain changing the oil & filter as prescribed by Toyota.
I'm a diesel semi mechanic at UPS. We have a growing fleet of semis burning CNG. Those trucks use a lower ash oil to prevent valve seat recession. You shouldn't use just any diesel oil in a LP or CNG engine.
Regular HDEO oil is all that is needed for a forklift engine. I have seen many forklifts with over 30,000 hours on them still in service at the 24/7 operations. How would less ash reduce valve seat recession? I can understand lower ash oil in stready state operated engines or for particulate filters etc.

Originally Posted By: mattwithcats
That 15W-40 will work,

But make sure to change the oil filter too!

Also look to see if there is an oversized filter available, if it will fit...
May as well add the trans fluid and hydraulic fluids and all filters.

RT6 in all of our propane lift trucks, except for our Hyster, with 4.3 Vortec V6. She gets VR1 10/30.

Filters are Fleetguard LF9028 dual flow filters, except the 4.3 Hyster, which gets a Fram Ultra.

About to move the whole fleet over to VR1, because of its ridiculous shear resistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back