Fords and aftermarket O2s?

A friend has a work truck he’s been assigned to, a 2008 F-250 with the 5.4L Triton mod motor. The CEL was on, he had AZ scan it for codes and there was a P2272 code for lean biased O2 signal on the driver’s downstream sensor. He then bought a NTK sensor at the local parts house down the street. I installed the sensor and cleared the DTCs with a Bluetooth dongle and a iOS app(I’ll sic Forscan on it next week, it seems to be Android-only).

I haven’t checked in with him to see if the CEL returned but I did advise him to take it out on a nice long drive to cycle the monitors. The NTK installed without drama but I did see two additional clips on its wiring piggytail for other applications. The OE sensor was a Bosch. I know NTK and Denso are seen as equal - are Fords picky about sensors or will the NTK work fine?

NTK will be fine. In fact, NTK is the largest manufacturer of oxygen sensors and is the OE supplier to many cars. They are part of NGK the spark plug company.

Some Denso oxygen sensors are reboxed NTK

I installed the sensor and cleared the DTCs with a Bluetooth dongle and a iOS app(I’ll sic Forscan on it next week, it seems to be Android-only).

Fords are not picky, but do use a major brand sensor.

https://forscan.org/home.html said:
  • Supported platforms:
  • Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7/8/8.1/10 (ELM327-compatible adapters with COM, USB, Bluetooth and WiFi interfaces, J2534 PassThru adapters). Note: only x86 architecture is supported for Windows. ARM architecture is not supported!
  • iOS v7.0 and higher (OBDLink MX+, ELM327 BLE and WiFi adapters)
  • Android v4.0 and higher (ELM327 Bluetooth and WiFi adapters)

What do you think of Walker oxygen sensors? Seems they're either Denso or NTK. I think Bosch might be OEM for my car, but rockauto had the Walker ones on clearance for about half the price of the regular ones.

What do you think of Walker oxygen sensors? Seems they're either Denso or NTK. I think Bosch might be OEM for my car, but rockauto had the Walker ones on clearance for about half the price of the regular ones.

I have used them on US domestics with no problems. AFAIK they use a Denso "pill" and they do the wiring, the connectors are well made and accurate as far as color and cable length. The ones I use most on Euro cars are from Bosch, never a problem.

I use Bosch in pretty much everything (except Toyota's) and never had an issue. Once I used a Denso in a Dodge because it was the same or cheaper then a Bosch, and also had no issues with it yet (and IIRC the OE one on it was Denso).

The Dodge Ram truck my nephew bought from me would NOT work with Bosch or cheaper oxygen sensors... at all. It had to be OEM or NTK. Those trucks are very particular about brand. I’ve never had an issue with bargain sensors on GM or Ford at the outset. Whether they last as long? Probably not, but they’re cheap. 😎

Back