ford trans delay in engaging

Ok, here is the deal. I have recently bought a 1998 Ford Mustang with the v6 engine and auto trans. It has 79000 miles on it, and seems to have been well cared for. I didn't notice when I test drove it, but after getting home the next day on a cold start, shifting into reverse, there was a delay of about one full second before it engaged. After the first time of the day, didn't seem to do it till next day again. I checked the fluid, which looked as clean and nice color as new fluid. I sucked out a little and added a bottle of Lube Gard red. Now it is MUCH better, but still has a 1/2 second delay. Do you think another bottle of lube Gard would help, or some other brand additive? Or is it something I should not worry about, or is this the start of of something big. Other than this the tranny seems to work perfectly. No slipping, and nice shifts.

I'd drop the pan clean it, change the filter, and look the filter over real good. I helped a couple of friends over the years with the same problem and found the filter was clogging up with clutch material and wear metal. All operated well again after servicing them.

The 6F35 A/T in my 2016 Escape will 'bang' when put in 'R' if I don't wait 2 or 3 seconds for 'R' to 'engage' after shifting it into 'Reverse'.
Since I started waiting for 'engagement' I haven't had a 'bang'.....I don't know why but I'm OK with it now that I've figured it out....

My 2018 f150 had all of the typical complaints for the 10 speed. Clumsy shifts, harsh shifting from 3rd, occasional unexpected giving up and going to neutral, and delayed reverse engagement. I didn’t even have to add 1/2 bottle of LG red. 2oz is all it took, and after a few days of driving it has been smooth and precise. I had 2 changes of fresh fluid in before the LG. If you like it, stick with it. If you wanna play, you could refresh the fluid, you’ll still have some of the LG in there, and only add more if needed.

Back