Ford sent me a refund cheque!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last fall I had to have rear suspension work done on the 2009 Flex, the scope included replacement of the 2 lateral toe links as well both upper control arms plus the usual alignment, $1469 CAD.

Then about 3 days later, I received a recall notice from Ford Canada advising that they would offer free replacement for the rear toe links due to incidents of dirt accumulating in the frame pocket that the toe links install into, the notice said this had been a problem seen on Ford Flex driven in Saskatchewan and Manitoba....I don't live there, but free part & labour for stuff I had already done made me read on carefully.

"If you have already paid to replace these parts, please contact your local Ford dealer to discuss the potential refund of this work...blah, blah, blah." So I called local Ford dealer and explained my situation. The dealer service writer said the only thing they could do was to replace these aftermarket toe links with proper Ford parts and align the car. I was not happy, because the recall notice didn't say the replacement parts would be replaced, only the potential of a refund for work already done. I wanted the money these parts & labour had cost me only last week! I was asked to contact Ford Canada, and have a case file opened.

I called Ford Canada, explained the situation once again, they gave me a case number and encouraged me to have the work done - no charge - at the dealer. I decided that I would get it done, but delay the appointment until I had installed 2 new Front Lower Control arms, this way, I could get a free 4 wheel alignment done after my DIY front suspension work was done.
grin2.gif

So I got the recall work done in mid-November 2019, and the service writer said he would forward all my paper work to Ford Canada referencing my case number. I was told it can take months, but today I got a cheque from the Ford dealer for $ 525.69 CAD.

This makes me pretty happy, my wife was very pleased to have additional funds to pay-off the Christmas bills. Not all dealers or OEM's are bad.
Ken

Odds are Ford will not pay for a 4 wheel alignment, only adjusting the rear toe. That's all they are paying for on the Explorers with the rear toe link recalls in the U.S. At the dealership I'm at we do set front toe because it's not much more time and it's worth it to prevent the customer leaving with a pull, but Ford does not reimburse us.

If it were to need more we would call and ask for approval. Thankfully I have not had to make that call yet. For a regular customer of ours it would not be an issue but the "free stuff" only recall customer always jump at a chance to accuse us of trying to upsell them needless stuff. Even if it's an oil change that they're overdue for by thousands of miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back