Ford Mustang Mach-E Recalled Because Battery Can’t Handle Owners Flooring It

UncleDave

$100 Site Donor 2024
The GT throttle you after 5 sec. not even halfway through 1 QTR mile run.
The whole line had high voltage connector issues.
Now this.

Sad thing is - I like the car.

They didnt get it right, and need to do a bunch of work.

This tech is not easily copied.

Last edited:
None of the testers floored it?

(will read article later, sorry)

It's a heat build up issue. A squirt here of there or even a qtr mile run is fine.

Its scenarios like a long hill climb at a high external temps, combined with a wide open event.

There have been numerous failures in the california climbs Tejon, Grapevine, Desert center, in the summer.

This is contactor related, the GT is battery lifespan related.

Ford can handle this at a reasonable cost - replace the high voltage connctor with one somebody carried the one on.

Screenshot 2023-10-22 at 10.45.56 AM.png

Still waiting for the big boys to get in...
None of the testers floored it?

(will read article later, sorry)
Repeated full throttle runs; probably fine for everyday driving.

Edit: Probably OK for a lot of everyday driving. But still an engineering failure.

Last edited:
Test to - beyond - extremes!!!
This is a good point. Failures are far more likely to occur as you approach the extremes.
In my programming career, I learned early on about "destructive testing" because users operate they way they operate, not the way you think they should. Users will fat finger the key, or just out in something stupid. Welcome to my world...

This is a good point. Failures are far more likely to occur as you approach the extremes.
In my programming career, I learned early on about "destructive testing" because users operate they way they operate, not the way you think they should. Users will fat finger the key, or just out in something stupid. Welcome to my world...
It was my world for 35 years.

Think rocket engines.

Yeah, I can't see the average owner driving like this.

It's largely geographical.

Passing slower vehicles on long uphill grades is often a wide open event.

You cant leave LA to the East or North without one of these climbs.

An issue in Illinois/ Iowa? Prob almost never.

Jalopnik misdirects a bit here leading one to think Ford is facing mega expensive battery recalls vs the connector.

The contactors (part of the High Voltage Junction box) has been a common failure for over a year. The part was backordered, resulting in multiple month repairs for some owners despite the factory continuing to build with the known-deficient part.

When a revised part was introduced for the factory, some warranty repairs apparently continued made with the old part design.

It's a complicated repair because the part is buried in the motor-inverter stack -- roughly equivalent to burying something in valley of a V engine under the intake manifold. It takes a few seconds to swap the part, after an hour of getting to it and two hours of carefully putting everything back.

The failure is not directly related to the five second full power limit, which is a simple software estimate of heat build-up in parts that aren't thermally monitored.

The news here is that it took this long for a drivetrain failure to be recall-worthy.

Yeah, I can't see the average owner driving like this.
Climbing Tejon and grapevine is a typical family trip from Norcal to Socal. It is a brutal climb obviously and they told you to turn off AC and stay in the slow lane. Going downhill they have runaway truck lane with gravel and cable to stop your truck, and people overheat their brakes once in a while.

But then again, it is Ford's fault for not designing correctly. If they can't handle the heat they should throttle in the computer, instead of letting the connector gets overheated and fail.

People complained that Toyota is falling way behind, but I am glad they are, so I don't have to buy half baked ideas from them.

Climbing Tejon and grapevine is a typical family trip from Norcal to Socal. It is a brutal climb obviously and they told you to turn off AC and stay in the slow lane. Going downhill they have runaway truck lane with gravel and cable to stop your truck, and people overheat their brakes once in a while.

But then again, it is Ford's fault for not designing correctly. If they can't handle the heat they should throttle in the computer, instead of letting the connector gets overheated and fail.

People complained that Toyota is falling way behind, but I am glad they are, so I don't have to buy half baked ideas from them.
My little Volt was making a lot of noise from the engine up the grapevine and wouldn’t go above like 70… but it survived. And AC still worked fine.

The fact a Mach-E can’t do that just makes me realize how they don’t test stuff enough. Bummer because I do like Ford.

Back