Ford going back to Yellow Antifreeze for 2020

Simplify your life.
laugh.gif

11B810DA-91C5-4406-B21E-BF951219960E.jpeg

Ford was calling for Prestone Cor-Guard to be used for the Transit heater core issues and it looks like KIK has sold Ford to use it as the dex replacement.

Since the main OAT component is the same but with a dose of phosphate, I don't see why it can't be backspeced for orange/dex cars.

Prestone Cor-Guard is basically phosphated Dex-Cool. An American twist on Japanese pHOAT.

It still baffles me how all the different manufacturers have their own opinions on what corrosion inhibitors work best when nowadays the materials of the cooling systems and engines are much the same.

You have the Japanese and now Ford who think Phosphate + OAT inhibitors is the best.
GM on the other hand is full OAT ( Dexcool )
Then the European manufacturers, specially the VAG group and BMW think that Silicates + OAT inhibitors is better.

….You have the Japanese and now Ford who think Phosphate + OAT inhibitors is the best....
With imo, one very important distinction not mentioned in that sentence.....No 'true' Asain PHoat AF uses 2eha found in Dex, Dexclone universals including Prestone AF and the new Ford "DY" yellow. So rather than call it any kind of twist on an Asian PHoat, because it uses 2eha as inhibitor I prefer to call it a modified Dexclone, specifically a phosphated Dexclone.

And while I might agree that based on information available on "dy" yellow that it could be used in place of Ford orange Dex, 'if pattern follows' don't look for Ford/Motorcraft to back spec it for the current orange Dex AF spec vehicles.

And there's also the previously noted FCA/Chrysler OAT, which also chooses to avoid 2eha found in Dex.

Originally Posted by FordCapriDriver

You have the Japanese and now Ford who think Phosphate + OAT inhibitors is the best.
GM on the other hand is full OAT ( Dexcool )
Then the European manufacturers, specially the VAG group and BMW think that Silicates + OAT inhibitors is better.

The heavy duty engine OEMs - Detroit Diesel(Daimler), Cummins, CAT, Navistar(which VW by way of MAN/Neoplan has a stake in) and MTU seem to also prefer OAT coolants for fill when a truck/bus/boat/generator gets filled with coolant during assembly.

Ford did use Mazda's FL-22 for a bit alongside G-05. It's not the first time Ford was playing around with coolants.

When It's time to drain the OE Orange coolant on my 2014 Focus next month (the car was made in 9/14 so it's 5 years old with only 45K)....I may
use the green P-HOAT Pentosin A2 that I got at AZ on 'CLEARANCE" last year....or I might use PGL....I think either would work fine after a complete flush....

Earlier in the year when It was time to get the coolant changed on my 14 Mustang, I had the dealer do it. Ford seems picky on what vehicles take what type of coolant and I didn't want to mess with it.

Originally Posted by billt460
Pretty soon we're going to have as many different types of antifreeze on the market as we do oil filters. Nothing like 8,967 items that all do the same thing.

It makes inventory fun. Along with all the different types of ATF and oil. Double for us since we do both Ford and Mazda.

Sorry to open this thread from last year. I am about to do a coolant flush on my Mazda 3, and am curious if anyone knows how this compares to Mazda's FL-22 (Same as Motorcraft Specialty Green)? MSG retails at $30/gallon for the concentrated mix, and M Yellow retails for 22/Gallon for the concentrate. I don't want any premixed stuff, as I run multiple gallons of distilled water through to flush everything out, and then eventually fill with 1 gallon concentrate for a even 50/50 mix. My Mazda came from the factory with non-FL-22 coolant (normal green), and I am getting tired of flushing every couple years. I am wanting to switch over to something I can do every 5 years.

Can't answer your question on replacing FL-22 with the new VC-13G coolant. However now Ford says that on vehicles that came with orange, you can use the new VC-13G coolant. They have even gone so far as to supersede the VC-3B to VC-13G. How's that for confusing?

I don't see any problem with replacing Mazda FL-22 with Ford's new yellow VC-13-G coolant, they're both essentially the same thing P-OAT coolants. It makes sense that Ford superseded their VC-3-B orange OAT (aka Dexcool) coolant with the improved VC-13-G yellow P-OAT (aka Prestone Cor-guard), it's the same chemistry with some phosphate added to get around the brazed aluminum heater core issues in the Transit vans.

Orange: Dexcool

New coolant: Phosphated Dexcool

The consequences of mixing coolants are greatly overstated. Toyota SLLC and G40 are even more universal than Dexcool due to their softer additive pack.

Last edited:
I agree with Sayjac that this new Ford coolant is probably similar, if not identical to, Prestone with Corguard....
which does have 2-EHA and phosphates.
That's what I thought too at first, but I think it is still a slightly different formulation that just happens to be dyed the same color. The Ford yellow is an OAT coolant with the addition of phosphates (POAT). I believe the Prestone Cor-Guard Universal is a phosphate free OAT coolant. I could be wrong, but most antifreeze reference charts I've seen show this as being phosphate free. Hard to know for sure though, as Prestone doesn't provide much information about what is in their products, and the formulation may have changed over time. However, Prestone does recommend the Cor-Guard yellow for the 2019+ Fords using Ford Yellow, while recommending the grey bottle Dexcool for the 2011-2018 model years using Ford Orange (see image below). In reality, I'm inclined to think that the Ford yellow is probably more comparable to the pink POAT coolant used in modern Toyota vehicles, or perhaps the blue POAT coolant that Honda has used for years, as well as newer Mitsubishi, Nissan, and Subaru vehicles. For comparison, the "Ford Specialty Green" Ford briefly used about 10 years ago is essentially the same as the green POAT used by Mazda, Hyundai, Kia, and older Mitsubishi, Nissan, and Subaru vehicles. Just goes to show that you can't rely solely on color to distinguish different coolants.
ea00c739-04a7-4c64-800c-5a9b9be8a8b8.b36a98819b414c7d0d9e169cc51948cf.jpeg

Last edited:
So what's the verdict on Prestone All-Makes/All-Models Cor-Guard for use in Orange/Dex-Cool applications (like the pre-19 Fords)?

So what's the verdict on Prestone All-Makes/All-Models Cor-Guard for use in Orange/Dex-Cool applications (like the pre-19 Fords)?
Use it. Dealerships are not carrying Motorcraft Orange anymore as the Yellow has superseded it. I’ve used
the Prestone variation in 3 different F150’s I service that previously had Orange.

Use it. Dealerships are not carrying Motorcraft Orange anymore as the Yellow has superseded it. I’ve used
the Prestone variation in 3 different F150’s I service that previously had Orange.

That's great news!! Should I do anything special for the conversion (run distilled several times to flush out the old stuff), or just drain the radiator and refill directly with Prestone?

Is there any substantial difference between the Prestone Platinum AMAM and the Prestone AMAM aside from the years/mileages advertised for the life of the anti-freeze?

That's great news!! Should I do anything special for the conversion (run distilled several times to flush out the old stuff), or just drain the radiator and refill directly with Prestone?

Is there any substantial difference between the Prestone Platinum AMAM and the Prestone AMAM aside from the years/mileages advertised for the life of the anti-freeze?
I just drained the orange and replaced with Prestone AMAM on one with no issues. The coolant was still clean looking just due by time/miles so I didn’t take the time to flush it. I plan on doing the same to my wife’s Explorer here soon.

I wish I knew for sure. My assumption is that there’s a higher concentration of additives in the Platinum. I have nothing to back that up though.

Back