Ford F150 starting problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a 2003 Ford F150 about 6 months ago. I had the starter(rebuilt) and flywheel replaced under warranty. A couple months back had the alternator replaced a brand new one. Truck usually starts and spins over real good no matter how cold. I have recently found out that when washing the car in real cold weather the truck will not start the next day. The battery is good. Get a noise almost like a slight click and nothing happens. Last time a few days later it warmed up and it started right up. After washing I can go out 2 hours later and start it, seems to be after it sits overnight. Maybe the starter freezes? Any thoughts?

Well, IDK! But, I'll shoot from the hip here
smile.gif

What exactly is it NOT doing? e.g.
a. turining over but, not starting?
b. battery clicking?
c. starter not reacting when ignition key is turned?

Seems like the starter wires need some attention...not making a good connection.

Try covering the starter when washing the Truck! I don't think the washing has much to do with the starter not turining over but, it may!

Water getting near the starter wires(causing a short)? IDK! How does it start the next day after you've driven through the water/slush and such(when it's cold outside? I would think that this would have more effect that the washing!

Good luck,
CB

Is the click coming from the firewall or fender? Probably external starter solenoid.

If you own a ford truck produced within the last 25 years, you need to be prepared to use a screwdriver to start it.

Do you wash it by hand or take it through the automated car wash? I could see the undercarriage sprays getting on an exposed connection and making it hard to start.

Does Ford still use an external solenoid? I would start there, if the engine does not spin at all.

OTOH if the engine is being spun by the starter, I would think of water in the ignition system. Which doesn't seem to happen any more...

Finally, if the starter spins but not the motor I'd think bad starter.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Is the click coming from the firewall or fender? Probably external starter solenoid.

If you own a ford truck produced within the last 25 years, you need to be prepared to use a screwdriver to start it.

Since I own a ford expedition in this category, can you explain a bit more about jumping it? I'd rather be prepared =)

Originally Posted By: leroyd92

Since I own a ford expedition in this category, can you explain a bit more about jumping it? I'd rather be prepared =)

Near the battery on the firewall there is a relay with two posts on it. With the key in the run position, contacting these two posts will engage the starter, and produce sparks. You can use a screwdriver with a rubber handle.

The relay, often called a solenoid, is about $20. Inspect wiring for corrosion as well.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

Near the battery on the firewall there is a relay with two posts on it. With the key in the run position, contacting these two posts will engage the starter, and produce sparks. You can use a screwdriver with a rubber handle.

The relay, often called a solenoid, is about $20. Inspect wiring for corrosion as well.

Clean and re-tighten the connections on the relay/solenoid and then coat with battery terminal protector.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Michelob
I bought a 2003 Ford F150 about 6 months ago. I had the starter(rebuilt) and flywheel replaced under warranty. A couple months back had the alternator replaced a brand new one. Truck usually starts and spins over real good no matter how cold. I have recently found out that when washing the car in real cold weather the truck will not start the next day. The battery is good. Get a noise almost like a slight click and nothing happens. Last time a few days later it warmed up and it started right up. After washing I can go out 2 hours later and start it, seems to be after it sits overnight. Maybe the starter freezes? Any thoughts?

Hello --- Fellow Ford F-150 owner of the same generation here... Do you have one of the Triton V8s or do you have the 4.2L V6? I myself have never experienced trouble starting my truck. I've always personally thought that, with a good battery, and no problems with your wiring (wet, corrosion, etc.), the Triton engine is very dependable. I've started my truck when it was -17*F (not even full-syn oil in it!) - just turned it over, only having to hold the key for like 2 or 3 seconds and she's alive!

Without having even heard your answer (as to what engine you have), I wouldn't hesitate to guess your problem - if water got under the hood somewhere important and froze, that could be why it wasn't starting. Especially considering how you said once it warmed up outside it started up.

Triton

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

The screwdriver does not need a rubber handle...its only 12 volts.
You can touch both terminals of a car battery at the same time without feeling a thing.
The only thing you may need to insulate yourself from is if enough current is carried in the screwdriver to start making it hot.

I would definitely check the connections on the solenoid...I had the same issue about a month ago on a 02 f150. The solenoid is on the passenger side firewall. I had to jump it with a screwdriver at the time...it hasn't done it since but I don't drive it much. I would definitely clean the connection first and then maybe change the solenoid if it continues.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back