Ford Dealer Did Not Change ATF Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had the Ford dealer [Pompano Ford Linc Mercury on US-1] change out the ATF fluid a couple of weeks ago..When I picked the car up they said they did not want to change out the filter due to the miles on car..The car has 120K miles..It is the 05 Vic..That makes no sense to me as they always changed it out on my other cars with over 200K miles with no issues..I think the guy that changed it was too lazy to change it.

Can I go another 30K miles with the same filter? I will not go there for any ATF changes anymore.

Since this dealer merged with another Ford dealer service seems to have taken a dump.

Thanks in advance.

Laaaaaaaazeeeeeee!

There is no legit reason NOT to change the filter and clean the magnet.

Can you go 30K more?
Most likely... but you won't really know until you do and inspect the filter. If the oil or filter has been changed before, then I think almost certainly it's OK for another 30K. Overall, the odds are good, even without any prior service, because they do claim "lifetime fill" more or less. That's my WAG (Wild-Assed-Guess)!

Its not like the car is under warranty. I the filter change causes the AT to slip or fail, they get you back for a replacement AT, more $$$.

Of course they dont want to make you mad with a failed AT... But if it has been serviced regularly, this is all moot.

Id go back and say that you are mad that they didnt do it right, and want it done again the correct way. Id expect to not pay for more than the filter cost for their mistake.

The technician may have genuinely been looking out for your best interest, in his best professional judgement, but they need to make good on the financial front, if they haven't already done so. If you paid for a full service and didn't get the full service, they've got to do something to make it right. Either refund you part of the cost of the service or complete the service as originally promised.

Has the filter ever been changed? If so when and the mileage? If the filter was changed just 30-40K ago I wouldn't worry about it. Change it next time. Also did you tell them to change the filter? Some people have to have a picture drawn for them.

Schuysters.

You should be fine for 30k, most owners don't ever change trans fluid and go 150-200k.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
The technician may have genuinely been looking out for your best interest, in his best professional judgement, but they need to make good on the financial front, if they haven't already done so. If you paid for a full service and didn't get the full service, they've got to do something to make it right. Either refund you part of the cost of the service or complete the service as originally promised.

+1

Lazy. Sounds like they just ran new fluid through a coolant line.

That fiber filter is in there to be changed. The OEM pan gasket is designed to be re-used and is of good quality, so the pan should have been able to have been dropped.

Dropping the pan gives the opportunity to inspect/re-torque the valve body and to see what has collected on the magnet as well.

I hope they used specific Mercon V fluid and not a one-size-fits-all sort of fluid. IMO the filter should be changed now. The drained fluid can be re-used since its new.

Lazy.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

+1

I agree with this. I'd bet they did a filter change on a tranny that had over 100k on it, which then went out the following week resulting in them paying for a new transmission, or dealing with a customer who thought they should.

Both the Ford dealer and indy shop I use do everything they can to avoid dropping the pan on my truck, and so far they have succeeded. Pan has never been off since new.

I have a new in the box Motorcraft "screen" for it complete with o-rings and a new bolt...it does say screen on the box. Still, it's not like you can easily see through the media. It seems like something that could definitely get clogged in a nasty transmission, but both shops insist the truck doesn't need it changed. Their reasoning is the same every time..."doesn't need it." The transmission does work fine, the fluid has always looked great on the dipstick, it has never been overheated, and has been regularly maintained. It also doesn't leak.

It kind of leads me to believe that filter changes go wrong enough that they are risky for the shops. They probably don't want comebacks for leaking pans or other issues that are just money out the window. I think it's definitely a very good idea to change the filter, it's just risky from the standpoint of the shop to open up a working transmission that doesn't leak.

I guess I will have to change this screen myself...the only problem is I don't like dropping the pan either. It will definitely have to get warmer outside before I'm willing to be covered in ATF.

The fluid has been changed every 30K sonce I bought it..I bought the car at the end of 2005 with 20K miles on the clock

Your right tig1 they need a picture drawn for them..Up until now they have been overall good to deal with.

They only use Mercon V fluid..Ford has been the only one changing out the ATF fluid.

They did give me break on the price Jason..They charged me 80 bucks insead of the usual 130 bucks.

I agree with they were lazy..Actually that day I was there they were slow..Most times they are very busy since they service some local police departments and service cars that do not have fleet service.

I agree with you JHZR2..I will stop back in there when I am in the area in the near future.

Thanks everyone for quick answers.

They were going by the book. The only reason Ford wants you to change the filter is if you do a repair on the assembly.

That being said, often times it is a PITA to drop the pan, especially on the units with no drain plug. They should have done the filter change if you requested it. I have the updated UHaul pan with drain plug for the 4R70W in my fleet, just trying to get motivated to swap it over.

I wouldn't worry about the filter not being changed since you have had it changed several times before. I use to change mine every other fluid change. After 218K the tranny still was graet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back