Ford 6.0 Powerstroke External Oil Cooler & Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

Long time lurker but my first topic.

I have a 2003 Ford Excursion with a 6.0 diesel. Like many I have replaced the oil cooler and already have temperature deltas that are out of factory spec. I dont want to mess with the factory oil cooler anymore so I will be building myself an external oil cooler & oil filter.

From what I can find the factory system will flow a max of 18.5gpm oil but is in the neighborhood of 12-15 (I cant remember specifically) at 3000 rpm's. The factory filter bypass is around 22psi & 20 microns (unknown betas).

There is a company that already markets and sells external oil coolers but the price is out of my budget, and more importantly I like doing these sort of projects on my own. But that company uses an external Carquest 85832 oil filter. From what I can gather that is only a 32 micron (unknown again on nominal or absolute) and rated flow seems to be only 16 gpm.

My question is: As I will be building system from scratch what would be the best readily available (not amsoil) filter I can get that will meet or exceed the 20 micron factory and flow 18.5 gpm. Ideally with a bypass and antidrain back.

Can hydraulic filters be used? Donaldson SP15/SP25 seem great, and the filter heads have integrated bypass valves in them Looking at P179089 as it has a 11 micron rating at 99.9%. But is that too fine? It should only have a 4 psi pressure drop per the data sheet.

Thank you ahead of time, any input is much appreciated. Oil and lube systems is not my strong suit so I want to make sure I have everything figured out before I attempt this.

Originally Posted By: TheKid760
Oil and lube systems is not my strong suit so I want to make sure I have everything figured out before I attempt this.

It's well known that just replacing the engine oil cooler in your application only results in putting off the problem for xx,000 miles.

Before going through the process of custom fabrication...have you determined the reason why multiple oil coolers have failed? It would seem quite prudent to instead focus on bringing the cooling system (better fluid, addition of filter) up to a optimum level of performance.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Oil and lube systems is not my strong suit so I want to make sure I have everything figured out before I attempt this.

It's well known that just replacing the engine oil cooler in your application only results in putting off the problem for xx,000 miles.

Before going through the process of custom fabrication...have you determined the reason why multiple oil coolers have failed? It would seem quite prudent to instead focus on bringing the cooling system (better fluid, addition of filter) up to a optimum level of performance.
ELC coolant seems to work well in these, meeting Cat EC-1, such as Peak Final Charge-using a blank (no SCA) coolant filter to catch any junk the Premium Gold left behind.

I have done both. I have flushed coolant system 2 times, each with copious amounts of water, ford VC9 cleaner, and restore cleaner, also have a coolant filter & ELC coolant.

I'm not going to try and bandaid fords system any longer, time to either redo it properly or swap a cummins. I'm gonna start with redoing it...

I dont know but I'm done messing with it. If I cant reasonable (price) make my own external oil cooler I'll just swap the engine out.

Does anyone know off hand if the Amsoil BK-309 Filter mount (EAO80 & EABP110) will meet my flow requirements? And if those filters have a bypass (if so what psi) and anti-drainback?

EDIT: EAO26 is largest filter that fits on bypass it seems, so not the EaO80.

Last edited:
Why not consider a mount that would accept a stock filter for the 7.3L engine? That external spin-on has the type criteria you seek (look at the Wix site for examples) for flow, beta, etc. It was sized for a HEUI system in the first place. You probably could source a mount from a wrecked older F-series truck, or if you want, could buy a "new" OEM part. Inexpensive mount with plenty of flow, and abundant filter choices; isn't that what you seek?

Filter choices abound; Wix, Fram's HPH series (a heavy duty version of the PH), Donaldson, Baldwin, etc ... Because this was for the 7.3L PSD, the choices are very wide, and selection = decent price point with assured performance and availability.

Or, you can plumb up a "dual remote" mount that runs in parallel. Tons of options there brand wise; the sky is the limit and the prices are cheap! Then you can run twin FL1-A filters (any brand equivalent) and get the flow you want, and actually get a decent efficiency by using a TG series Fram, Wix or any other good filter!

Last edited:
I dont know but I'm done messing with it. If I cant reasonable (price) make my own external oil cooler I'll just swap the engine out.

Does anyone know off hand if the Amsoil BK-309 Filter mount (EAO80 & EABP110) will meet my flow requirements? And if those filters have a bypass (if so what psi) and anti-drainback?

EDIT: EAO26 is largest filter that fits on bypass it seems, so not the EaO80.

6.0's are finicky. Coolant flushes are a requirement and cannot be prolonged.

-coolant filter
-remote oil bypass filter
-egr (either delete or bullet proof)
-remote cooler. Bullet proof makes two nice units either remote cooler up front or there new design.
- Head studs if you have a heavy foot or if you just want to ensure no other issues arise.

Doing all of these is the inevitable with a 6.0 sure some get by but most not without issues once pushing into 120k miles.

Just curious... A motor swap is within the budget but performing these necessary mods aren't??

03 is going to need just about all of these mods... I would recommend going with the bulletproof unit.. it is slightly more expensive than others but well worth the extra couple hundred. Don't forget to look at the upgrade to the high-pressure oil pump as they are natorious for having a piece in the front right break.. its another couple hundred but saves ripping it all off again to fix it later....

Last edited:
6.0's are indeed very finicky. In my book finicky does not equal reliable. I have a coolant filter, recently (arduously) flushed coolant with switch to ELC, new coolant filter & deleted EGR.

This one 6.0 has had more work done to it the last 120k miles than my cummins & my brothers cummins combined (800,000 miles total), only thing major done was a headgasket and turbo. That is reliable.

The point of the budget is not total dollar spent, but rather an amount I'm willing to spend on the 6.0 before I deem it a boat anchor & swap in a proper diesel engine.

But please, enough talk about the 6.0 and its fixes and qualities and back to the main focus of my topic: Oil Filters (we are on an oil forum right?)

Thank you dnewton3, I didn't realize the 7.3 had a spin on filter, I will look into that.

Is there any reason I can not use the linked 11m Donaldson hydraulic filters above? I would use the base with the 25psi bypass setting, and an inline check valve.

I'm looking to minimize pressure drop and gain better full flow filtration at the same time.

Any flow past what you "need" is not a help. Once you max the flow capacity, having "more" is used potential. Therefore, any filter that meets your minimum criteria would be sufficient.

I kind of like the idea of the 7.3L filter; very easy to get anywhere, lots of good brands, reasonably cheap, and was already made for HEUI service. What's not to like?

Post up pix once you get your selection installed!
Inquiring minds want to know!

Last edited:
Thanks dnewton3.

I have many filters to choose from but will be comparing 2 from donaldson & baldwin.

- Baldwin B7039: B2/9.8 nominal & B75/27 absolute. Rated at 28gpm with only 3.5 pressure drop.

Donaldson P550371: 17 micron @ 99% (Beta 100?) no information on flow rating but assume it would be the same. Price is only $10 online at filterpros.

I am also looking to do a bypass filtration setup. It seems to me that the racor ABS10300 is the best out there for the money. So I might be using that.

Side note: while I was talking to baldwin I asked about a few other filter ratings for possible bypass.

- B164: 15 absolute (they consider absolute B75)
- B7379: 8 absolute, 1"-16 threads, 20psi bypass valve & has an antidrain back valve.

- Baldwin B7039: B2/9.8 nominal & B75/27 absolute. Rated at 28gpm with only 3.5 pressure drop.

Good numbers, but I doubt the delta-p is 3.5 PSI at 28 GPM, but some much lower flow rate. For an accurate delta-p, also need to know the oil viscosity.

Got a link to the tech info?

No link. I called and talked to "Dale" in engineering. Lol. I asked if that pressure dropp was at rated gpm. He said yes. But I agree, seems too good at that flow rate.

Here's what a Purolator PureOne (PL14006, a medium sized filter) "flow vs delta-p" curve looks like with 5W-30 oil at 200 deg F. Data was provided by Purolator via lab bench test.

PureOneflowdata.jpg

After seeing that chart and doing some approximation for oil flow rates I think the baldwin information is accurate.

I awcknowledge the oil flow through a pipe is no where near the same as the flow through a filter, but will give you an idea of flow potential differences. I'm assuming a oil flow velocity of 2 m/s in a pipe sized same as filter threads.

PL14006: 13/13"-16 threads. 10.6 gpm potential. .

B7039: 1 1/2"-16 threads. 36 gpm potential.

The 3.5 psi drop (PL14006) was approx 80% of potential flow rate of 10.6 gpm. The same 80% applied to the 36 gpm flow potntial of the Baldwin is 28.8 gpm.

Last edited:
^^^ The flow vs delta-p graph I posted is the actual pressure difference across the whole filter, including the media, which is the largest contributor to a pressure drop. Can't really go by the size of the threaded hole in the base plate for an accurate pressure drop, because it mostly media type and media area driven.

But it sounds like this B7039 is a pretty gigantic filter ... which would mean it has tons of surface area and therefore potential for a much smaller pressure drop with high flow rates.

Sidenote: When I called WIX Tech Dept and asked questions about their "max flow rate" spec listed for their filters they told me it was the maximum flow that the center hole could handle. I asked at what pressure drop and oil viscosity was that max flow specified at, and all he could say it "that's proprietary information". I don't believe "max flow" specs unless I can see the flow vs delta-p curve and the oil temp/weight/viscosity that the spec is associated with.

I agree, just because it's max doesn't mean it's doing it an an acceptable delta-p.

And yes I fully acknowledge that my numbers were nothing more than that. What I was trying to illustrate was that the Baldwin filter was much larger and designed for a larger class of vehicle which also usually has much higher oil flow rates. So it is possible the flow rate they have me is what they "rate" their filters at. Doesn't mean that's the maximum gpm it can handle. Like nominal vs absolute microns.

I appreciate the info and always welcome input as the discussion brings out good information and points we all can learn from.

And now knowing the gpm information I feel much more comfortable using the recommended filter series from dnewton (I trust, but verify ;))

Last edited:
I got info back from donaldson regarding a couple filters but unfortunately no delta-p info.

P550371: rated gpm 20-25

Dbl7405: rated gpm 40-45

I asked for delta's and he didn't have them but said their rating was at typical application flow rates So delta's should be reasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back