Ford 4F27E

Anyone really familiar with these transmissions? I have a 2011 Transit connect with one that is acting up. The van has 150K miles on it. I bought it last year with 137k on it. When I got it the trans still had the factory fill of ATF in it. It shifted fine and the fluid was a redish brown. I dropped the pan and changed the fluid and filter. Installed a mazda pan with drain plug. Did a few more drain and fills because you can only get 3 out at a time and the total capacity is 7 quarts. Fluid used was mercon lv and maxlife.

For the most part its been fine but it does have its quirks. The van is really under powered for its size and the shift strategy leaves a lot to be desired. This is the only thing Ive ever driven that will up shift under a load on a hill while your loosing speed causing you to slow down even more and lug the engine. Thats probably my biggest complaint about the thing.

Here lately though Ive noticed it feels like it slipping while climbing hills. Doesn't seem to matter what gear its in because I will sometimes manually shift it from drive down to 2nd to stop it from trying to up shift on a grade. Today I was on the interstate cruising about 75 or so and it went to shift and jerked hard twice almost instantly. I let off the gas and looked down at the instrument cluster to see if anything was amiss. No lights or anything so carefully got back onto the gas. The rest of the way home though I had two occasions where it went to shift and revved way up until I let off the gas. So something is up with it. Fluid looks nice and clean. I plugged my computer into it with forscan to see if any codes where stored but it showed nothing.

I guess my question is what kills these transmissions? They have a terrible reputation in these vans from 2010 to 2013. I think most guys over load them and never change the trans fluid but I have kept it pretty light and like I said before changed the fluid. I also don't beat on it or run it any harder than necessary.

What kills the transmission is heat and under maintaining them. Sure, they may have issues specific to that tranny.
I would say that most of what you are experiencing is a software issue with an underpowered engine. I would continue with regular fluid maintenance but don’t over change the fluid either. It also sounds like you’re driving the van properly.

The 4F27E is actually one of Ford's better transmissions, though that's not saying much :sneaky:

Mazda uses it, too. Mazda includes a drain plug with theirs, while Ford was too stupid to include one. However, the Mazda pan is a direct swap. There used to be aftermarket pans with the drain plug, but they don't seem to be available anymore.

I had no problems with the transmission in an older Focus that made it to 200k

Transmission is going to have to come out be gone through. Since all this started it a has a noticeable whine or growl at idle when in park. My past experience with a trans making this noise was a sign imminent failure.

Having done a little bit of reading there is a set of bushings that when worn will cause the TCC apply and TCC release to not work correctly. Symptoms include slipping between 3rd and 4th and a shudder or slipping when under load or slowing down. Pretty much exactly what I'm experiencing.

I have also been pondering the fluid choice for this trans in terms of longevity. Ford originally called for mercon V but after 2007 switched to mercon lv. The wiki page says they made hardware and calibration changes. Later they back speced all to LV. I question if anything was actually changed and it was just done for fuel economy. Mazda having used the same trans never called for a low viscosity fluid.

Having done a little bit of reading there is a set of bushings that when worn will cause the TCC apply and TCC release to not work correctly. Symptoms include slipping between 3rd and 4th and a shudder or slipping when under load or slowing down. Pretty much exactly what I'm experiencing.
The bushings in the Mazda version are aluminum, Ford used steel I believe. The two versions have a different end plates which contains the bushings and also the routing for the bushing lube flow, which is better in the Ford version than the Mazda. When rebuilding the Mazda version most people use the Ford end plate for the better bushing and better fluid flow route.

These tranny's dont like not having the fluid changed, the bushing is the first thing to go as a result and it does cause the issues you describe. These transmissions are really not suited for vans, I dont know why they insisted on using this little thing in them. They are fine for the Mazda 2's and early 3's, and the Ford Focus, but in a van? Why why why. One good thing is, they are small and light and not too terrible to yank out if you need to replace it.

If you have an email account that will accept an 8Mb file, send me a private message with your email in it and I can send over a troubleshooting and overhaul manual that I downloaded a few years ago. I dont know where I downloaded it from otherwise I'd just send you a link.

Back