For all of us CORVETTE lovers out there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Trav
Quote:
You can't compare a bike engine to a car engine...car engines don't turn 12 grand and that's where bike engines get all their power...

A two stroke, sure.
Dyno.. 145HP @ 8800 RPM 109HP @ 5500 RPM far from 12 grand wouldn't you say.
5500 RPM is well within a SBC range so if it made 109 HP per ltr it would be almost 550 HP and that number sounds about right for an engine this size and this technologically advanced.

Tu Shei! (Is that how it's spelled?) What bike is that? Impressive!

Last edited:
I'm not sure it has enough HP. I would have expected 500HP in the base model (which would have been enough) . Sorry, but 72 HP/Liter is not exactly "world class".

Nor do I believe that the 2 valve cylinder head is the way to go. Honda built a motorcycle with pushrods and 4 valves per cylinder. It was incredibly reliable and revved quite high and as compact as a 2 valve setup. There is no reason to avoid such a design.

And, before someone says that 2 valve engines make more torque, that's patently false. 4 valve engines, properly designed, outperform 2 valve engines under all conditions, throughout the RPM range.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cujet
I'm not sure it has enough HP. I would have expected 500HP in the base model (which would have been enough) . Sorry, but 72 HP/Liter is not exactly "world class".

Nor do I believe that the 2 valve cylinder head is the way to go. Honda built a motorcycle with pushrods and 4 valves per cylinder. It was incredibly reliable and revved quite high and as compact as a 2 valve setup. There is no reason to avoid such a design.

And, before someone says that 2 valve engines make more torque, that's patently false. 4 valve engines, properly designed, outperform 2 valve engines
under all conditions, throughout the RPM range.

Maybe corvette is thinking along the same lines as Harley by staying more traditional in design using pushrods.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: Cujet

And, before someone says that 2 valve engines make more torque, that's patently false. 4 valve engines, properly designed, outperform 2 valve engines
under all conditions, throughout the RPM range.

Maybe corvette is thinking along the same lines as Harley by staying more traditional in design using pushrods.

I'm just fine with pushrods operating 4 valves per cylinder. And, so is Honda. It's amazingly compact, effective and reliable.

Cx650%20Monk%20002.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Clevy

It's much more of a packaging issue. A monstrous 4 valve double cam head would make the engine WAY too large to ever fit in a Vette and keep the racy hoodline.

Then there's tradition. Incremental changes are best if you don't want to alienate your loyal clients.

Remember that this same basic design will power a lot of different GM vehicles, not just a Vette. It will be a wonderful addition to the truck line. I can't wait!

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Old, bald, gold chain wearing fat guys accurately describes the Corvette crowd.

Not the crowd that I hang out with up here, out of the couple of hundred Corvette owners that I've met in the last 8 years I've owned mine, I can't think of a single one of them that fits that stereotype.

Honda CBR 1000F Euro spec SC24. I bought it in Holland to register in Germany because Germany had a 100 HP limit (thanks in part to the Honda 6cyl CBX) on manufacturer imports.
German official imports usually had about 110+- HP.

Individuals could bring in whatever they wanted but the bike had to go on a dyno and have the tire rating checked for its top speed. cost for all this was fun about 1K Dm back then.
I got the dyno specs from the TÜV so i could get an ABE to register the bike.

Thankfully in around 95 they stopped this nonsense.
Fritz Egli made a lot of really high powered 1 ltr machines but customers from Germany had to go to Switzerland to pick them up. One of his favourites builds in the very early days were the HRD's.

Here is a 1948-1952 Vincent HRD Black Lightning. A low RPM 998cc pushrod engine that made 70 HP only 2 HP less per ltr than the new Corvette engine. Now that is amazing!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vincent_Black_Lightning

Originally Posted By: Patman
Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Old, bald, gold chain wearing fat guys accurately describes the Corvette crowd.

Not the crowd that I hang out with up here, out of the couple of hundred Corvette owners that I've met in the last 8 years I've owned mine, I can't think of a single one of them that fits that stereotype.

Me either. That's a stereotype that refuses to die.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back