For a 2008 non-Si Civic R18 what oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Following the OCI suggested by the OLM minder:

Peak Synthetic 0w20 or 5w20
or
Quaker State Synthetic 0w20 or 5w20

(these are what's on sale this month)

Does anybody here use regular non-synthetic 5w20 and run it to OLM suggestions?

QSUD 0w20
QSUD 5w20
Peak 0w20
Peak 5w20

in that order. Also worth considering is M1 AFE 0w20 and Pennzoil Platinum 0w20/5w20, usually just a few dollars more than the above recommended oil.

I'd use a synthetic blend at a minimum because the Civic's OLM has the ability to run up to 8-9k OCIs based on the driving style / conditions. It's best to use an oil that is capable of handling whatever you throw at it during the duration of the oil run.

Both QSUD and Peak synth will get the job done. I personally like QSUD.

I follow the maintenance minder in my wife's '08 Civic, using whatever I feel like. I'll use G-oil, Maxlife, or any other decent mineral oil, or combination of mineral and synthetic oils. Her care doesn't care and she only ever accumulates maybe 7k miles going to 5%, so I don't think it matters much, considering she takes it very easy on the car and accumulates a good deal of highway miles each OCI.

So, if you're following the MM, then any decent oil will do; these engines aren't very picky from what I've seen so far.

It's normally best to read the instructions in the owners manual and warranty papers to find out which oil is supposed to be used. The OCR light will be based on a particular type of oil and if you are using a cheap supermarket special it would be worth considering a single UOA with TBN to cross check the result and then compare it with averaged out results for the same engine.
The results might be perfectly OK if the engine is not a fussy one, but it is best to check before taking longer term oil type and OCI decisions, as I have seen some bad results from oil changed when the black box said to change it, BUT the wrong spec oil was used. In general the new oil change programs are conservative ones that make a good allowance for different types of useage, they probably have to be because car owners handbooks are the most under read types of book in history.
Hard to say if an engine cares about oil type without doing UOA, but by the time most engines give out a bad sign like cold start rattle, smoke or increased oil consumption it is kind of late. The Audi turbo owners that suffered sludge problems some years ago from using the long Audi recommended OCI got very few warnings until the low oil pressure light came on at idle after a fast run or the turbo went bang. Both rather expensive failures to fix.

Last edited:
You could use vegetable oil in the R18 engine and it would probably be fine...

Seriously, that engine is very easy on oil and runs just fine on a quality, mineral, name-brand 5W20. I've run Quaker State GB 5W20 in mine for the full MM without any issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back