foam pad under upper intake on a 3.6 Pentastar needed?

I just had my oil filter housing/oil cooler replaced on my 3.6 Pentastar in a Caravan. The indy shop did a great job at a fair price..but they did not reinstall the foam pad that sits on top of the front bank of cylinders and under the upper intake. I can't seem to find any real good info on the necessity (or not) of this pad. It seems to be for either noise reduction or to keep the upper intake cooler (?)

I asked them to install it...and I kind of feel crappy about having them do an hour or more of work for free.
I replaced my plugs last Spring (and I also forgot to reinstall the pad so I had to pull the intake off, again, and install the pad) so I know exactly what's involved in doing this.

So is the pad necessary? Does it affect anything if it's not there? I'm guessing all will be fine without the pad...but it was installed theref from the factory for a reason..so what would you guys do?

+1 on noise reduction. I thought there was only the top cover on the intake. I'll have to have a lol at my engine bay and see what you are referring too.

Interesting inside the caravan around the 6*9 speakers in the rear they gave pieces of black foam used to dampen the noises. They also have some rubber liners in the front quarter panels near the door hinges to keep sound out. Every time I fluid film the caravan I gave to remove these to get everything sprayed.

It was missing on my F150 and I never knew until I had to replace the entire intake manifold about 12yrs after purchase. I didn’t notice any change with it. Aftermarket brands don’t even include it.

It was there for a reason and you paid for a service that was top be done properly. Leaving that out is unacceptable based on work integrity alone regardless if it is truly "needed". I see so many vehicles from other shops missing bolts and other parts, wires not resecured and hanging etc - really irratates me.

It was there for a reason and you paid for a service that was top be done properly. Leaving that out is unacceptable based on work integrity alone regardless if it is truly "needed". I see so many vehicles from other shops missing bolts and other parts, wires not resecured and hanging etc - really irratates me.
this is how I'm leaning....per the tech, he thought the pad" looked to be in rough shape and would be a home for mice" so he left it off....which is interesting because I had it apart 6 months ago and it was in perfect shape (as is the rest of the van..2014 with 79K but looks showroom new).

I guess I'm more disappointed that this happened. I could tell the shop wasn't pleased to have to redo this...but they didn't complain at all...and rescheduled me for next week. I feel kinda bad as they've always taken good care of me...and I know this will be an hour + the tech will work for free. That's why I'm trying to determine if this pad is really necessary. While I wish it was installed correctly, good (great) shops are hard to find and I'd hate to dampen my relationship with these guys. This is the first issue I've ever had in about 15 years with these guys.

update - after looking very closely at the work done I'm not going to ask them to pull the intake, again, to replace the pad. There were too many broken connectors, push pins not pushed in, stuff scratched, etc. I don't want more stuff hacked up.

I get it.....it's a shop where time is money and 99% of customers will never even pop the hood to inspect the work done. The problem is I'm the 1% who will take a close look. I also get that some broken connectors, scratches, etc, won't affect the performance or longevity of anything...still kinda pisses me off, though. Hell, I pulled the intake off twice and didn't bust a single fastener/clip/push connector. This was a newer, young tech at a shop where it's historically been just the owner and another tech or two. Good for them they're getting busy enough to need to add people...but a bummer that the owner (a Master tech) couldn't do the work, as his work is top notch.

You have to keep an eye on the quality of work that your mechanics put out, My apprentice knows I look his work over....But I try not to give him jobs on vehicles that have been previously butchered as it's not fair to him with the pay scale he's on.

I've also noticed that with some Mechanics.....They'll start out strong, Doing a good job & all, 6 Months to a Year in.....The wheels completely fall off.

Yep, I did same thing. Changed plugs, got it all buttoned back up. Grab the engine cover and there sits the foam pad. I looked at it, looked at the engine, then threw the pad in the trash.

update - after looking very closely at the work done I'm not going to ask them to pull the intake, again, to replace the pad. There were too many broken connectors, push pins not pushed in, stuff scratched, etc. I don't want more stuff hacked up.

I get it.....it's a shop where time is money and 99% of customers will never even pop the hood to inspect the work done. The problem is I'm the 1% who will take a close look. I also get that some broken connectors, scratches, etc, won't affect the performance or longevity of anything...still kinda pisses me off, though. Hell, I pulled the intake off twice and didn't bust a single fastener/clip/push connector. This was a newer, young tech at a shop where it's historically been just the owner and another tech or two. Good for them they're getting busy enough to need to add people...but a bummer that the owner (a Master tech) couldn't do the work, as his work is top notch.
Point it out to the owner, why not? You're not a second class customer. If it's the kid's fault too bad. You paid good money and you ended up with a hack job. If it was just the pad that was not reinstalled that's one thing but then you discover the problem with the wires and connectors, no sir, not acceptable. Besides, the next time you need a job done maybe the owner who does the good work will do the job. Don't settle for unacceptable work.

Back