Flush engine oil when changing oil viscosity?

Shouldn't need to for the little bit that doesn't get drained but on the other hand using a flush product won't hurt a thing is the other end of this discussion that is not a popular one on BITOG. If using a flush product makes you sleep better at night, go for it. It's not going to have any negative outcome on your engine.

I'd be more concerned about any residual flush that would be left behind than I would a different weight of motor oil.

You've tried it? Or you just heard someone say that?

Are you serious? Do you also practice unholster/point in your living room with a full mag, one in the chamber and your kids running around? Some things are obviously stupid, operating a pressure lubricated piece of equipment without pressure lubrication is clearly one of those things, it doesn't require explanation, it's common sense. It's this kind of thinking that results in labels indicating that hot coffee is in fact hot and that one shouldn't drink laundry detergent.

Yeah, you've never done it so you have no clue.
After engine runs it's full of oil, and after it shuts down it's still has lots of oil everywhere. Running w/ no pressure for 10sec hurts nothing. I did not say shift it into drive and apply load.
Anyways.......... the OP should always use and engine flush like the Liquid Moly stuff, let engine get hot, install the flush, run engine for 10-15min, dump the oil, let it drain out for about 1hr, then add new filter and new oil. Should be good to go.

Yeah, you've never done it so you have no clue.
After engine runs it's full of oil, and after it shuts down it's still has lots of oil everywhere. Running w/ no pressure for 10sec hurts nothing. I did not say shift it into drive and apply load.
Anyways.......... the OP should always use and engine flush like the Liquid Moly stuff, let engine get hot, install the flush, run engine for 10-15min, dump the oil, let it drain out for about 1hr, then add new filter and new oil. Should be good to go.

That's pretty rich.

Clearly, the individual here without a clue is yourself, completely oblivious to the concept of what pressurized lubrication actually entails.

The advocacy here for partaking in a process with absolutely nothing to list under the benefits column and the potential for significant damage as the first item under the risks column is amazing. That you are defending it and calling others clueless because they haven't tried it is stupefying. Must people attempt drinking bleach before denouncing it as idiotic in your world as well?

There being oil on the surfaces inside an engine is of no significance to the operation of pressure-fed bearings, which are fed oil immediately to establish a hydrodynamic wedge and create separation of the bearing and journal. No oil being fed to those journals means no wedge, which means metal to metal contact and reliance on ZDDP and other sacrificial additives to prevent the immediate seizure of the bearing to the journal and subsequent spinning. You may want to look up posts on this subject by Shannow to establish a better understanding.

No, the OP should not always use an engine flush, most of us never use an engine flush, there's no need to use an engine flush, no proof of benefit to an engine flush and if you are going to conjure up more malarky on that angle, I expect this is going to turn into a very fun conversation. Not that it's not already entertaining, I've not had an exchange approach this level of ridiculous since GHT was active here.

Could you please try to make a sketch illustrating your modified flushing process, Jimmy? This whole flushing theme seems to become ever more important with advanced ingredients and their interdependencies and such.
The fresh air would be of quite low viscosity and all, but just ten seconds for getting sucked in and doing all the favour throughout the system? Providing a video or good sketch woul really be great. It's primarily physics, right? I think I can get the idea, but still...

Back