Fluid Film vs Woolwax

Does anybody have first hand experience comparing these two products? I have been using Fluid Film with great success on my 2011 F150 for a while now and the only reason I'm looking to switch is I no longer have access to indoor facilities to hand wash in winter. This means I do need to utilize drive-through car washes and I'd like something that resists wash off better than FF (if possible). Not interested in changing the type of product as FF has worked VERY well thus far but if the WW really is better I'd be happy to switch...

Also, I have been using a HF airless sprayer with FF which works but does leave a little to be desired. WW says it will work as well and they recommend a #213 tip. Is it worth it to go with an pneumatic undercoating gun instead? I like the idea of using an extension on the gun to get into places so I don't have to buy a bunch of aerosol cans as well...

woolwax is harder to apply but theoretically longer lasting.

I use fluid film in cans.

woolwax is thicker though and you probably would get better results with an air gun.

YMMV and maybe you drive less than I did, but I found that FF would not stay in any high wash area, period. I all but needed to do touchups in the winter when I would do tire rotations.

I gave in and bought the FF sprayer and accessories, figured if it extended the life of a vehicle by just one year then it paid for itself. I just keep those items in a plastic tote.

I have experience with both and have an older thread here somewhere on it.

Like said WW is a bit thicker at warmer temps. I've found they wash off equally as fast in areas that get road blasted.

The application of the two was about the same to me with the one difference that WW has a nice scent to it, like hand lotion. FF not so much.

I know I'll continue to use either without issue, but given the choice, I'd go WW just 'cause it smells nice.

I do the plastic tote method like supton. Grab the bucket when you need it. Everything is in there.

I find they both wash off pretty fast and because of that I apply Fluid a Film twice a year. I use fluid film now because it just seems more readily available.

For areas that wash off quicker than others, you could try cosmoline. That will stick for a good year without issue.

I grew up with a grandfather that used Fluid film on everything. Our home was on the water and it was salt water. So all the chains, boat parts, boat trailers, yard equipment (especially the shovels used to dig for clams), everything. He loved it, and I do to this day. Great product.

I have used Fluid Film and other 'oil' undercoatings for 18 years (same vehicle).
Today, under my vehicle is an oily / dirty mess.

Lately I have been a fan of Cosmoline.

Fluid Film will penetrate seams and around spot welds (all good), also good for 'inside' doors and hoods.
------------------------
Cosmoline drys to a waxy film / multiple coats leaves a nice thick layer.

My advise to anyone would be to use both.

I used FF on my new car, I sprayed all the suspension and sub frames to keep the salt from them in our salt filled roads in Minneapolis. I found sand/dirt loved to coat the sub frames and suspension and kept the FF doing it's thing without a re-coat. Of course any spot that get blasted with anything hitting it, needs re application.

I have used Fluid Film and other 'oil' undercoatings for 18 years (same vehicle).
Today, under my vehicle is an oily / dirty mess.

Lately I have been a fan of Cosmoline.

Fluid Film will penetrate seams and around spot welds (all good), also good for 'inside' doors and hoods.
------------------------
Cosmoline drys to a waxy film / multiple coats leaves a nice thick layer.

My advise to anyone would be to use both.
I agree, there’s an application for both. Fluid film is good for those seems, but it just washes away pretty much everywhere else. I have to get myself some Cosmoline, that stuff sticks for a long time and it’s still flexible.

Well I was up under the truck yesterday doing control arms, etc. 2010 manufacture date, Michigan daily driver and it’s still looking GREAT. Little to no rust at all on any body or frame parts. Light surface rust on some of the front lower arms. Guess FF works great even if it does wash off eventually.
Actually while the extremely exposed areas (such and the frame inside the front wheel wells) were pretty much dry almost everywhere else is still visibly wet with FF. I even did two drive through washes woth underbody spray in late winter.

Back