Fluid change advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to change out diffs, coolant and trans in my 2009 GMC 2500 duramax/ Allison. Thinking of either dex6 or Transyd for trans., stick with dexcool for coolant and a name brand synthetic 80w/90 diff lube. Anyone have advice on exact brands or need for transyd over dex6? I do pull a fifth wheel so the truck works hard.

Just the fact that you're doing the fluid changes is a BIG "AT-A BOY" in my book! What brands to use is usually a personal choice of what helps you sleep at night and others will chime in with their recommended choices. Since you pull a fifth wheel, how 'bout the brake fluid/flush?

Best to ya,

CB

Last edited:
Automatic transmission? Ya Allison oil will do nicely (yes 295 if I recall .check on their site they got a list

As for differential any big rig xiff oil with latest spec should do . Mobil is sold in most TA PETRO
AS FOR COOLANT zerex or any sold at truck stop basically you want the long duration formula. If I recall it will mention no nitrate etc etc etc . Don't skimp here .radiator liquid are awesome these days but if you buy what your grandfather put in his big rig .you ll do piston liner . Engine block welding etc "(pitting till a hole appear)

Was actually going to buy Zerex dexcool, and 20litre pail of transyd and diff oil from local navistar shop. Already flushed the brake fluid, going to do the hydro boost oil also.

This 80W90 would protect differential components better than a typical 75W90....... a sensible choice indeed.
If it matters to you, pick one with a higher KV@40*C.

Last edited:
I like Delo with the borate base over sulfur base lubes for diffs.
Dexcool in a diesel? What is it with manufacturers putting auto coolants in diesels? Ford and their G05/Gold debacle in the PSD, and Dex in a Dirtymax... What is the world coming to?
Anyway, Delo ELC or Rotella Ultra would be my go to on coolant.

Originally Posted By: dave123
Might look at a 75w110 either Red Line or Amsoil in the rear both very good

^^^ this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back