Floor mat cleaning...

I have always brushed the rubber oem “Monster Mats” in our VW’s to clean them but that always left behind a dusty film. I started washing the floor mats weekly and am much happier with the results. Soap and warm water in the bath tub followed by a gentle scrub then laid out to dry with the dehumidifier on. Makes them look brand new every time.

Attachments

• 31680FCA-F1D8-460C-824E-863D888883D6.jpeg
    31680FCA-F1D8-460C-824E-863D888883D6.jpeg
    190.6 KB · Views: 78
Washes his floor mats weekly in the bathtub, said the single guy.

Seriously? nice mats.

It takes me 5 minutes. Worth it in my opinion, it keeps them looking fresh and from getting gummed up. When you are as particular as I can be it's 5 minutes well spent. The whole weekly car washing routine takes a good hour and a half so what's another 5 minutes?

Our current child. We are a no food/drink in the car family (unless road trip). That’s how my wife and I both grew up.
that's how may parents were/my brother is....me? I rarely DON'T have a beverage with me, and eat lunch in my car most workdays...

Our current child. We are a no food/drink in the car family (unless road trip). That’s how my wife and I both grew up.
Same here. No food or drink in the car, but we'll make an exception on occasion for road trips, and even then the beverage is usually water. Sort of a do as I say, not as I do-- I eat in my car I use to commute to work. But when the kids get a job and buy their own vehicle, they can do whatever they want in it :)

It's plain scary what some people let their kids do to their expensive vehicles, but to each their own.

Same here. No food or drink in the car, but we'll make an exception on occasion for road trips, and even then the beverage is usually water. Sort of a do as I say, not as I do-- I eat in my car I use to commute to work. But when the kids get a job and buy their own vehicle, they can do whatever they want in it :)

It's plain scary what some people let their kids do to their expensive vehicles, but to each their own.
You said it. People go out and spend $40K + on a new family hauler and it gets torn up in less than a year. That is fine if that's how you want to live, but not me. We work hard for our money and try to make our purchase last.

Weekly car washing that includes floor mats? And not in snow country?
Have you seen anyone about your OCD?
1.5 hrs every week, doesn't include the oil changes, waxing, and on. Remember your time is worth something - that's why they pay you at work.

If you have nothing better to do with your time, congrats I guess?

I have similar VW mats - vacuum/sweep them off 2-3x / year.

I just wash the mats when I wash the wheels. Quick pressure washer rinse, maybe a scrub with a flag tip brush.

We eat, drink, color, play with Lego, etc in our cars and they still look great. I have chosen to teach my children to respect their environment rather than not use it. A spilled snack vacuums up. Water can be soaked up with a towel. Toys can be picked up.

Life can get messy but messes can be cleaned.

Last edited:
Paid extra to get the better OEM floor liners in both the Tahoe & Rubicon …
Whisk broom & dollar store wipes …

Weekly car washing that includes floor mats? And not in snow country?
Have you seen anyone about your OCD?
1.5 hrs every week, doesn't include the oil changes, waxing, and on. Remember your time is worth something - that's why they pay you at work.

If you have nothing better to do with your time, congrats I guess?

I have similar VW mats - vacuum/sweep them off 2-3x / year.

I work a full time job and my schedule allows 3 day weekends bi-weekly. My wife and I make time for family, which always comes first. Detailing is a hobby of mine and I get enjoyment from it. A lifestyle that is so busy you can't find 1.5-2 hours on a weekend to do some detailing or other home related maintenance is a life I don't want to live.

Paid extra to get the better OEM floor liners in both the Tahoe & Rubicon …
Whisk broom & dollar store wipes …
Are they similar to WeatherTech? I thought about getting some but they look too rugged for a sedan. In an SUV or truck they wouldn't bother me.

Those rubber type mats come in handy when you pile the kids in the car and after a few minutes a certain smell arises. Kids step in all kinds of stuff along the way. 💩

Back