Floor Jansen

Cool ending to Nightwish “Greatest Show on Earth”starting around the last 6 minutes.
Awesome stuff listening through my new QC45’s, (present from wife)

So much more to listen to, called “Decades”= 22 remastered songs, a lot of them quite long and involved. (Screen shot cuts out the song titles)
Definitely different, original and refreshing.
Ok now onto song 2 “Elan” nice, crisp, clean…. Great vocals man I like this.
EA52DA47-29B4-49E9-8D43-7F5C7613832C.jpeg

Last edited:
Tarjas first solo album used to be our test device of choice for car audio systems.

re: Floor Jansen. While the Buenos Aires performance is extremely impressive (especially given the circumstances), I think the Wacken 2013 performance is unmatched. If this does not give you goosebumps, then nothing will. This is out of this world.

The phantom of the opera rendition was intense. Awesome singing! I wonder how another opera singer, or Whitney Houston (RIP) would handle both that kind of music and the other metal songs.

Awesome singing.

Tarjas first solo album used to be our test device of choice for car audio systems.

re: Floor Jansen. While the Buenos Aires performance is extremely impressive (especially given the circumstances), I think the Wacken 2013 performance is unmatched. If this does not give you goosebumps, then nothing will. This is out of this world.

I specifically prefer that last bit on the Buenos Aires performance compared to any of the other live versions I've seen, all of which are fantastic, including this one :)

As most on here know I'm passionate about several things, one is obviously power generation (nuclear in particular) but another is music. I'm almost always listening to music. A couple of years ago now a fellow BITOG'er introduced me to Nightwish and I became a fast-fan of their current lead singer Floor Jansen, who is the 3rd singer for the band and a formidable talent.

Now, I'll preface this with the fact that my taste in music probably isn't shared by the majority here, but I do know that some folks like @DriveHard do have similar taste to my own and appreciate a similar spectrum of genres.

Personally, I love good lyrics (made a thread on that years ago now) and I love somebody who can SING. No autotune, no filters, just go on stage and blow everybody out of the water. There are few that can do this. Sarah Brightman is an obvious example as are Celine Dion, Andrea Bocelli, Amy Lee, Brent Smith and Adele.

Anyways, I think the story of Floor is good enough to tell here in an abridged form.

Basically, Nightwish is a symphonic metal band. Think Metallica meets the Opera. The original diva for Nightwish, Tarja Turunen, parted ways with them and she was replaced by a pop singer, Anette Olzon in 2007. This was a big change in sound for the band. Anette couldn't do the operatic style that Tarja was famous for, but the music was still very good, albeit, different.

Well, in the middle of their South American tour, Anette leaves the band. They have no singer. Alissa White-Gluz (Arch Enemy) and another singer help them complete their set, but they have a serious problem, they need a new singer NOW. They had previously approached Floor before hiring Anette, she had her own band After Forever and wasn't interested at the time.

They reached out to her and asked her if she wanted the job. She decided, what the hell, she'd give it the old college try. After her flight over, jet lagged, she had something like 24hrs to learn the setlist. Totally nuts.

Her first performance with the band was surprisingly good, though you could tell she was nervous, however she quickly caught her stride and started to make some of the most notable pieces her own. I've posted this in the "what are you listening to" thread a few times, but she just hits it out of the park on this one, which I believe was during her 2nd performance with the band (if you don't like the music, watch from 8:15, the power she shows at 9:35 is insane):

In comparison, here's Tarja singing the same song:

Of course Floor also has a commanding stage presence being north of 6' and typically wearing heels that make her even taller.

She was recently (2019) featured on the Danish TV show "Beste Zangers" (best singers) where she sang a myriad of different genres including doing a Phantom of the Opera collab with Henk Poort:

She also covered Lady Gaga's "Shallow", which, given this isn't the genre she normally sings, did an incredible job:

One of the aspects of this show is that you sing another contestant's song (you can figure out pretty quickly whose song it was). She covers this Spanish piece:

OVERKILL, check out this. An analysis of Floor by a voice coach. You'll like it.

Scott

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3DAZ5DDuaI

OVERKILL, check out this. An analysis of Floor by a voice coach. You'll like it.

Scott

Thanks Scott!

I've seen that one, it's pretty wild eh? That's the same performance of Ghost Love Score that I linked in the OP, likely for many of the same reasons it's my favourite.

Thanks Scott!

I've seen that one, it's pretty wild eh? That's the same performance of Ghost Love Score that I linked in the OP, likely for many of the same reasons it's my favourite.
Until your post I'd never heard of Floor Jansen, or Nightwish. I confess to listening to Ghost 30 times in the last two days. I can't get enough of it. Floor Jansen has talent that is off the scale, completely immeasurable. And the drum work by Jukka Nevalainen is mind blowing as well.

I'm from the "love the one you're with" generation and have been to dozens of concerts in San Francisco at Winterland and Fillmore West starting in the late '60s. I've seen Jefferson Airplane perform White Rabbit. I saw Jimi Hendrix light his guitar on fire, still playing it while it burned, me standing right in front of the stage, literally 12 feet away. I saw Ten Years After while totally incapacitated, laying on my back in the middle of a forest of people standing over me. Lynyrd Skynyrd's Free Bird when the song had just hit the charts? Been there, done that, and dozens more. And the "love the one you're with" thing? It was a real thing back then. I've been there, done that too. :)

All of the above artists and bands were great, truly great, but I've never seen anything like Floor Jansen. I'd pay a lot of money to simply sit across a table and enjoy a cup of coffee with her. Wow. With her being 6 feet tall and me 6'5", we'd be a perfect match!

Scott

Last edited:
Until your post I'd never heard of Floor Jansen, or Nightwish. I confess to listening to Ghost 30 times in the last two days. I can't get enough of it. Floor Jansen has talent that is off the scale, completely immeasurable. And the drum work by Jukka Nevalainen is mind blowing as well.

I'm from the "love the one you're with" generation and have been to dozens of concerts in San Francisco at Winterland and Fillmore West starting in the late '60s. I've seen Jefferson Airplane perform White Rabbit. I saw Jimi Hendrix light his guitar on fire, still playing it while it burned, me standing right in front of the stage, literally 12 feet away. I saw Ten Years After while totally incapacitated, laying on my back in the middle of a forest of people standing over me. Lynyrd Skynyrd's Free Bird when the song had just hit the charts? Been there, done that, and dozens more. And the "love the one you're with" thing? It was a real thing back then. I've been there, done that too. :)

All of the above artists and bands were great, truly great, but I've never seen anything like Floor Jansen. I'd pay a lot of money to simply sit across a table and enjoy a cup of coffee with her. Wow. With her being 6 feet tall and me 6'5", we'd be a perfect match!

Scott
Scott, we are totally on the same page here. She is a force, but more than that, she has such power and presence that everything else gets fuzzy, it is absolutely surreal. I also find it triggers a wholly uncontrollable emotional response, which is a bizarre, but very enjoyable experience.

Probably one of the best things about that particular performance is the expression on the face of Emppu when she belts out "my love will be in you" in her last segment of the chorus. She's just pouring it on with a level of power and control I've never seen anyone do and he's grinning uncontrollably knowing that the audience has never experienced anything like this before, because he's never experienced anything like this before:
Screen Shot 2023-01-19 at 11.06.38 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-01-19 at 11.06.46 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-01-19 at 11.07.02 AM.png

In that moment, she made that song hers.

I can also only imagine what was running through the minds of her new bandmates after this show. It changed the trajectory and future of the band. They performed Wacken and Wembley, the latter was totally sold out, people wanted to; people want to, see and hear Floor. They even developed a word for this experience: "Floorgasm", which is that uncontrollable emotional reaction that she triggers.

Scott, we are totally on the same page here. She is a force, but more than that, she has such power and presence that everything else gets fuzzy, it is absolutely surreal. I also find it triggers a wholly uncontrollable emotional response, which is a bizarre, but very enjoyable experience.

Probably one of the best things about that particular performance is the expression on the face of Emppu when she belts out "my love will be in you" in her last segment of the chorus. She's just pouring it on with a level of power and control I've never seen anyone do and he's grinning uncontrollably knowing that the audience has never experienced anything like this before, because he's never experienced anything like this before:
View attachment 136268
View attachment 136269
View attachment 136270

In that moment, she made that song hers.

I can also only imagine what was running through the minds of her new bandmates after this show. It changed the trajectory and future of the band. They performed Wacken and Wembley, the latter was totally sold out, people wanted to; people want to, see and hear Floor. They even developed a word for this experience: "Floorgasm", which is that uncontrollable emotional reaction that she triggers.
I agree completely and feel the same thing. She's a singer, a performer, an actor, you name it.....rolled up all in one. An immense talent! And part of her uniqueness is her 6 foot height and 175 pounds. Her stage presence has to be absolutely breath taking.

Scott

I agree completely and feel the same thing. She's a singer, a performer, an actor, you name it.....rolled up all in one. An immense talent! And part of her uniqueness is her 6 foot height and 175 pounds. Her stage presence has to be absolutely breath taking.

Scott
(y)You rarely come across artist like her who are talented in so many ways. It happens , but not very often.
Just what on earth could she do with a couple of the older (known by many) classic songs from the past. I can just imagine her creating new classic / award , even grammy winning versions. Of course there is no need as they have such a great thing going already. The fact several of us must learn about them on BITOG is a statement on the failure of modern music industry promoters to get any much a variety of music to the masses.

Ha ha ha..... I'd say she enjoyed that one for sure.
There are a bunch of those "music reaction" people all over You Tube. I used to watch a few when I first discovered that. Probably been going on long before I found it. Got a real kick out of some of them. Some are just silly / wild and patronizing though. Guess folks who can dream up and put things in place will make money any kind of way that can snag ad money all over the internet these days.

Back