Flipping yard ope for profit?

Trying to find another way to make some income. Been picking up non running ope at yard sales for cheap. Got this Poulan 50cc saw with a 20 inch bar, new chain in a box and all the original paperwork as well as the case for $10.

Typical carb gummed up from our terrible fuel. Not even worth trying to fix the carb..Found one online with gaskets,air filter,spark plug,fuel lines for $30.

Put it on and did not even have to touch the carb adjustments. Runs great

I' m wondering that since we can no longer buy gas powered ope here if there is any profit in flipping them? I' m into this saw for $40 and about 35 minutes.

Wonder if I could sell it for $150 ish?

IMG_20240609_093937254.jpg

This should sell no problem. Battery powered ope is still not there in terms of battery density and lifespan. Stihl and a few others offer ope with a catalyst system. Was this not good enough for California? From reading it significantly reduced small engine pollution.

The old guy the next block over from me does small engine repair. Apparently he took over from a local guy in town who would tell you that he couldn't fix your push mower but for $25 he'd hand you a rebuilt one. Then take your mower and so on. The old guy fixes mowers really well. He even picks up "free on the curb " mowers and whatnot and makes a little money on them.

You can flip anything for profit if you know your market.

Still at the euro car dealer? Get some basket cases there, too. Think big!

My brother and nephew are repairing and selling OP in Florida for close to two years now. They are doing nicely. That chainsaw should fetch close to what you're asking.

The old guy the next block over from me does small engine repair. Apparently he took over from a local guy in town who would tell you that he couldn't fix your push mower but for $25 he'd hand you a rebuilt one. Then take your mower and so on. The old guy fixes mowers really well. He even picks up "free on the curb " mowers and whatnot and makes a little money on them.
There was a kid near me that did that with vacuum cleaners.

Yes, you can make a little spending money but it won’t be life changing. I retired in 2011 then took a small engine course at the local community college. I’ve flipped quite a few pieces from riding mowers to string trimmers to edgers etc, just piddling with them in my spare time. I bought these two JD JX75 mowers for just over $200 total and kept them and still use them 10 years later. They sold for around $700 each new 25 years ago.You can easily double or triple your money as the majority of problems are gummed up carbs and as you discovered a cheap complete carb is less than $20. I got tired of dealing with CL ‘customers ‘ so I only fix stuff for friends and neighbors now.

IMG_0913.jpeg

Yes, especially for the premium brands that sell well. Husqvarna, Echo, Stihl, Toro, John Deere, Honda, etc are always brands I have good luck flipping. The issue is now people are less likely to let go of stuff for a good price, even if it is broken.

This should sell no problem. Battery powered ope is still not there in terms of battery density and lifespan. Stihl and a few others offer ope with a catalyst system. Was this not good enough for California? From reading it significantly reduced small engine pollution.
Nope Ca banned all new small engine sales 01-01-24

Yes, you can make a little spending money but it won’t be life changing. I retired in 2011 then took a small engine course at the local community college. I’ve flipped quite a few pieces from riding mowers to string trimmers to edgers etc, just piddling with them in my spare time. I bought these two JD JX75 mowers for just over $200 total and kept them and still use them 10 years later. They sold for around $700 each new 25 years ago.You can easily double or triple your money as the majority of problems are gummed up carbs and as you discovered a cheap complete carb is less than $20. I got tired of dealing with CL ‘customers ‘ so I only fix stuff for friends and neighbors now.

View attachment 223962
I have one of these ! most likely one of the best mowers ever built and by far the best i have ever used.
Mines a 1996 or 97 sold for just under $1000 Canadian when new.

If you can fix broken OPE, why not also have a little OPE repair shop?

Maybe cars as others suggested.

Trying to find another way to make some income. Been picking up non running ope at yard sales for cheap. Got this Poulan 50cc saw with a 20 inch bar, new chain in a box and all the original paperwork as well as the case for $10.

Typical carb gummed up from our terrible fuel. Not even worth trying to fix the carb..Found one online with gaskets,air filter,spark plug,fuel lines for $30.

Put it on and did not even have to touch the carb adjustments. Runs great

I' m wondering that since we can no longer buy gas powered ope here if there is any profit in flipping them? I' m into this saw for $40 and about 35 minutes.

Wonder if I could sell it for $150 ish?

View attachment 223958
I would think now would be a great time for you build up a stock of non running OPE for cheap, as it is going to become a PITA to replace it soon and lots of guys still will want a simple cheap gas version for years to come.
A local guy is repairing simple electronics free clothes wash machines and dryers. Same idea, picks them up for free or scrap metal prices, buys the $12 part it needs, and resells for $100-150. He doesn't do repairs, as it sets deadlines and extra messing around with PITA people. When he has one ready to go, he advertises it on facebook and then he sets the pickup time when he's available. One interaction in person when he wants. It seems to be a $50-70/hr cash paying hobby.

the issue will be where do you get your supply from. you ain't the only one out there doing this , and this has caused the ope market on used equipment to rise. i like to fix ope stuff also, especially pressure washer. the problem is too many people want premium for their equipment even when it does not run or a pump is dead.

and anything free on craigslist etc , get a hundred messeges for it. there are imho better ways to make side money.

Back