fix a stuck/broke manual/crank door?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK...kind of odd....this 88 Aries I got, ever since I got it, the 2 rear, driver and passenger windows will not roll down....the handle seems like it's "catching" on something.....called up a local "Window Repair Shop" (who appears to specialize in 12 volt POWER windows) and he gave me some good tips regarding wd40, PBlaster, etc...to lube up the rubber and possibly brake loose wahtever is "dragging".....he seems to think it may just be a bad gear? or "regulator"? That is not "catching".

Now, what's strange, is he said if I can find 2 "Window Regulators" he could install them $80 for both windows....

But just has me curios....why only the 2 rears stuck....? I know the previous owner did a red neck paint job.....rolled on paint somehow...lol. So I'm thinking perhaps he got adhesive down in the track or something......but I tried dragging the window down while turning the handle, and no go, will not budge.....

The big issue I'm having though, is rockauto (my primary parts source...) only lists "electric" window regulators and motors for my vehicle.....

And makes it more confusing since some sites call it a "Gear" and some call it a "regulator" and it seems almost the same function.....? BUT, mine is not "powered" - it's manual.....so would the "power" window regulator still work..? Lol

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?carcode=1069365&parttype=10733 is what I'm looking at in particular....

I'm not too familiar with the Aries, but my best guess is that after years of being left in the up position something rusted and the first attempt to roll them down ruined the regulators by bending something or stripping out gear teeth. You would really need to open up the door and look at what's happening to be sure. Power and manual window regulators tend to be pretty different, but if you can't get a new or servicable used manual regulator you can always get a new power window regulator and motor, then wire up a switch. Power windows in the front can be annoying sometimes but can be convenient in the back and might be worth learning to live with.

Your car doesnt use a regulator persay in the rear.You are cranking a gear that drives a plastic tape track.However,your sticking problem is lack of use.The glass has the metal/sealing strips on either side,and the door channel is just that....a metal channel.Over time these two surfaces get dirty,rusty,and bind.You need to take a ton of silicone spray and fluid film and lube the heck out of both sides of the glass and its channel when rolled down.It gets better with use,but dont let the crank do all the work...you will strip the teeth off the plastic tape track.Use your fingers to assist in forcing the glass up/down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back