Fisker Battery - 500 mile range, 1 minute charging

I have been looking at power poles when walking the dog. She walks slow so i have plenty of time. Never really thought about it before but a 120000 volt line means divide the amps by 1000 that are carried on the 120 v lines. If a home draws 100 amps on each leg its only .2 amps on the main line. Maybe it is possible someday with different solid state batteries and higher voltage to make evs workable for more people. A 4800kw charge rate at 240v means 20 amps on the main line at 1000:1. The main lines can have higher voltages than that. I think in my example a 120 kwhr car battery could be charged in 1.5 minutes. I dont know if the numbers are right just doing them in my head. I‘m tired its night time, and the dog wants to go out and do her business. This Fazebook telling strangers mundane things is great isnt it.

120,000 volt lines (usually closer to 115,000 volts) are transmission lines.

What you have feeding the transformer that your house is connected to is a distribution line. These are most commonly 7.2kV, but higher and lower voltages are also used.

In between the 115kV (in some places these may be 230kV) transmission line and the 7.2kV distribution line is your substation.

A video that explains this:

120,000 volt lines (usually closer to 115,000 volts) are transmission lines.

What you have feeding the transformer that your house is connected to is a distribution line. These are most commonly 7.2kV, but higher and lower voltages are also used.

In between the 115kV (in some places these may be 230kV) transmission line and the 7.2kV distribution line is your substation.

A video that explains this:

Oh yeah, when I worked at a power plant, the power coming out the plant was 360kv, normally something like 335kv. Then those split down to the 115kv and so forth. That is 3 phase and eventually breaks down to single phase at the house level.

Anyway, the point is probably that even if you could do it, it wouldn't be done at the house level, kinda like how there's a Supercharger network that uses higher voltages/currents than what people have at home for a quicker charge.

As for swapping battery packs, maybe it won't matter, it'd be like Blue Rino, doesn't matter how old a tank you get, you just swap it again when you use up the propane.

You probably need to have a car parked away from people, fenced, and a robotic arm poke a needle bed into the inside the battery pack to deliver that kind of voltage or current. This will not be cheap and it will generate a lot of heat. Imagine how much that cost per port? How much would it be to do that instead of just swapping a battery pack.

You probably need to have a car parked away from people, fenced, and a robotic arm poke a needle bed into the inside the battery pack to deliver that kind of voltage or current. This will not be cheap and it will generate a lot of heat. Imagine how much that cost per port? How much would it be to do that instead of just swapping a battery pack.

Controls and contractors and multi-level safeties are viable, but I wouldn’t want it in my house, anymore than I’d want a gasoline pump in my garage. And I’m not sure I’d want to be sitting in the car either.

You won't have to worry about safety cages or where you sit because it isnt going to happen.

For that matter the VAG's 800 volt vehicles dont charge faster than Teslas 400 volt vehicles.

One of my forklift chargers charges at 180Amps; but a US household is probably 120V.

Are you saying it gets its own breaker from the main panel of the house, like a pool filter?
Yes. With very few exceptions, anything that needs more power than can be supplied from a 20 amp, 120 volt circuit is on it's own breaker. Electric stoves, central air conditioners, well pumps, electric dryers, electric water heaters, etc.

I think that maybe one thing that is not being considered is that a fast swap system could significantly reduce the cost of owning electric vehicles and improve the efficiency of electric vehicles if: people utilized the fact that on the vast majority of days most vehicles drive a distance that is a small fraction of what electric vehicles are designed to be able to do now days. So if you know that you will only be driving 25 miles maximum each day, then you could enter that information into the vehicle and when you made a stop at a very quick automated battery swap center a battery with that capacity would be quickly swapped into your vehicle every day. And if you were going to be taking a longer trip the next day you would enter that info and a larger battery would be swapped in. This way most days the vehicle would carry less weight, and most of the time the batteries that have there life used would be much smaller. When you were going to go on a long trip a larger battery with more capacity would be put in. And when you went on really long trips you could do multiple swaps of large batteries during the trip.

The cost of owning would decrease because in general you would be putting wear and tear on a smaller battery, and therefore when the life of these batteries was used up, a smaller battery would have been used up, and a smaller battery would be needed to replace the used up one.

And most of the time slow charging could be used which is more efficient and puts less wear on the battery.

Also when not attached to the vehicle the system where it is charged could supply a much more powerful battery cooling system because it could be larger since its weight would not be part of the vehicle.

And the vehicle would be more efficient because most of the time it would be carrying less weight.

And since the vehicle would in general be using up a smaller battery the owner would be paying for the depreciation of a smaller battery most of the time.
That sounds good in theory, but smaller batteries will not last as long if used in that capacity. Discharging/charging batteries at a higher C rate shortens their life. You also have to factor in that as the battery gets depleted the voltage drops, which requires the battery to output more amperage to do the same job. Having a battery that is barely adequate to get through a normal day of driving equates to a highly stressed battery. A high state of charge also depletes lithium batteries faster. If you have batteries that are barely big enough to get you through a day then people will be charging them to 100% as often as possible (range anxiety). A larger battery pack can more easily be kept within the desired charge range and will be less stressed (Discharged slower/ at a lower C rate) than a smaller battery in the same application. Lithium batteries lose some ability to supply high currents as they age and also really suffer in the extreme cold.

One of my forklift chargers charges at 180Amps; but a US household is probably 120V.

My car charger plug is 220V, 50A (actual charge rate is like 40A or something) which is more than sufficient for leave it overnight charging, which is also the kindest to batteries.

My car charger plug is 220V, 50A (actual charge rate is like 40A or something) which is more than sufficient for leave it overnight charging, which is also the kindest to batteries.

Is it really only 220V? I haven't measured anything less than around 118V from leg to neutral in years (with the exception of a long circuit with a bunch of voltage drop in a parking garage).

Is it really only 220V? I haven't measured anything less than around 118V from leg to neutral in years (with the exception of a long circuit with a bunch of voltage drop in a parking garage).

No, it's probably like 230-240, my house voltage is ~120.

Back