First vehicle you ever purchased?

1999.5 VW Jetta with the I4 (VR6 too expensive for me). This pic isn't my car, but it's the same ext color and wheels. I had hand-me-down vehicles before this. but this is the first one I bought. Car was great until it got caught in a hail storm. That was the most expensive hailstorm in my life time.

[Linked Image from i1268.photobucket.com]

Last edited:
1989 Dodge Dakota Sport with a carbureted 3.9 V6. Nice little truck, but I rebuilt the transmission twice. Finally traded it in at about 75k.

Picture of a picture, sorry.
1977 Olds Cutlass Supreme, w/Olds 350ci...this happened to be just before GM started putting Chevy engines in Oldsmobile's. OMG
[Linked Image]

1969 Buick Riviera 2 door with 430cu in. 4 barrel carburetor and dual exhaust! Bought it from Buick Dealership for $1100 and I believe under 65,000mi. 2 bench seats with plenty of room! That was quiet the car for a 16 year kid in 1976. Biggest problem was keeping gas in it! I totaled it within 2 months of owning it......

1984 Nissan Stanza 2.0L 16 valve fuel injected 3spd. automatic. Bought in 1990 for 400 bucks off my GF at the time. Her Mom bought the car brand new in 84.

The first vehicle I purchased that I really, REALLY, wanted- for over 12 years:

[Linked Image]

I bought a 1995 Dodge Caravan with the MMC 3.0 V6 from my grandfather for $500.00 in 2004. He bought a new car because the AC system stopped working. I found out the suction line had a leak in it, found a hose shop that had bulk hose and would recrimp the ends for 25.00. Put it in, did my own A/C charge and voila! I found out how to add in cruise control as well; only cost me 100.00 in parts from the local auto salvage yard.

My first car was a 69 Plymouth Fury which was a hand me down from my grandfather. I sold it after two years over casual conversation with a co-worker. My next one I bought, a 79 Ford Fairmont. 2.3L w/ 4 spd manual. Barely could drive a stick when I bought it and became an expert the first afternoon I owned it. That was the worst car I ever owned.

Last edited:
1986 Isuzu P'UP 4x4.

First brand new vehicle. Believe sticker was around 12K, selling price few hundred over 10K. September 1986. No money down, 60 months, forget the rate but remember the payments were $234.35. Fresh college grad, first thing out of the gate I took on debt, was upside down on the thing from the get-go, but didn't care. I was young dumb and full of... ...well, you know.

Originally Posted by MCompact

[Linked Image]

20.gif

My first car purchased in 2005 when I was 16 was a 1990 Jeep Cherokee Limited with 89k miles.

I've had a few vehicles given to me but the first one I paid money for was my grandfather's old 1988 F-250 which I think I paid $200 for? Might have been $500. Had the 300 i6 and a completely plugged catalytic converter, which had been the case for years, because he always complained that it was a gutless wonder. I "cleared out" the cat and it woke right up!

Truck was a "Custom": Regular cab long-box 2WD with 4.11's in the pot and a C6 auto. Rubber floor with the vinyl bench, it had no options, manual everything. With the 300 in it, top speed was around 130Km/h and it was screaming at highway speed.

The timing gears dramatically failed on me towing a car trailer down the 401 with a Mustang on it. Signed up for the Canadian Tire roadside assistance program to get it home, because it was WAY cheaper than just having it towed.

Sourced a slightly scorched 302HO from a buddy in the local Mustang community (engine had been in a car that caught fire) for a song, went to the wreckers and found the V8 mounting pads for the crossmember, swapped those in, got the flexplate from an auto, swapped that on, and ended up using a harness from a 1986 Mustang and an 1988 Mustang automatic ECM. Truck ran really well! But the 302HO had a very different power delivery profile and was pretty soft down low, luckily the C6 had no lockup, so there was plenty of slip to get it into the powerband. 75% of the work was a collab between a good friend of mine and myself. He owned an engine hoist and a lot of this stuff went much better with two people, particularly when you are doing it in the open in a driveway. The remaining 25% which included the wiring, ECM fitment and the like, I did solely by myself.

When I turned 15 (farmers permit) I purchase a 1964 2 door hardtop Impala, red with white top, four on the floor with bench seat, 327 four barrel, man I wish I had that car now, paid $400 cash.

Originally Posted by MCompact

[Linked Image]

That would be a Bavaria or a 3.0Si(?). Me thinks it would have 2 Zenith carbs and be 6 cyl 3.0 litres and have a ZF or Getrag 4 speed (if a manual). 'Gotta love an L6 BMW
smile.gif
!

Or is it a 733i or 735i with Euro bumpers?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Cdn17Sport6MT

That would be a Bavaria or a 3.0Si(?). Me thinks it would have 2 Zenith carbs and be 6 cyl 3.0 litres and have a ZF or Getrag 4 speed (if a manual). 'Gotta love an L6 BMW
smile.gif
!

Or is it a 733i or 735i with Euro bumpers?

It's a 1973 Bavaria(3.0S in Europe). The Zeniths were replaced with Weber 32/36 DGAVs. I suspect that the Zenith is akin to the GM Quadrajet in that it's complex and people don't take the time to understand it. At the time I was too busy to rebuild the Zeniths and the Weber conversion kit was relatively inexpensive. The transmission was a 4 speed Getrag. I had to have it rebuilt because a PO ran GL-5 instead of GL-4 oil. It was a little rough when I bought it in 1983. My wife had a co-worker whose husband had a 1972 Bavaria with terminal rot. He was not mechanically inclined and sold it to me for $250- and actually appeared embarrassed about asking so much for it. While restoring the 1973 I probably took $1,000 in parts off of it and sold another $1500 worth of parts to BMW CCA members. Six cylinder BMWs have almost always been my weapon of choice. Out of 12 BMW only three have been inline fours- my 2002, 318ti, and my wife's current X1.

Back