First time today: GM 3.2 timing belt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Somehow, after nearly 20 years wrenching and 10 years at the same shop, I've never had the misfortune of doing a timing belt and water pump on a 3.2 GM engine. For those that don't know, this engine was used in various Saturn's for years, the Cadillac Catera, and the CTS for 2 model years. It's a very strange, VERY compact 54 degree angle V6. I just had one delivered to the shop, and did a full timing belt service on it before installation. I didn't take any pictures, but this is the timing setup:

[Linked Image]

(not my photograph)

It looks relatively simple, but it's not. First, it uses not one... not two... but THREE eccentric tensioners. That's right, all 3 pulleys you see are adjustable eccentric's. The idea behind this is so unusual it's almost genius, and it took me a while to understand. Basically, the large tensioner on the bottom left is the "final tensioner". This sets overall belt tension. You use the two smaller eccentrics to change the effective length of the belt, which ever so slightly adjusts the position of the cam gears. It's really wild, but it really works once you get the hang of it.

You absolutely MUST have the special tools to do this job. I just don't see any way you could do it without. Apparently, these engines are extremely finicky when it comes to timing, and you MUST be spot on. The kit includes a tool which slides over the cam gears and has timing marks which match up to the marks on the cam. There are marks on the rear cover, however they aren't accurate enough to put everything back correctly. There's also a special crank holding tool, a timing belt wedge to keep the belt on the crank gear, and two camshaft locking tools in addition to the alignment tool.

All in all, very slick but very weird. I would definitely not want to do one of these in-chassis, and CERTAINLY not on a FWD. I get shivers just thinking about it.

I did one transverse setup in a Saturn vue. The cam gears don't like to stay put from what I remember either. Definitely a one of a kind.

I was working at a Cadillac dealer when the sister to this engine came out in the Catera, Very weird indeed! Especially for a bunch of mechanics not used to timing belts of any kind! I hated the Catera.....The WHOLE car!

It was a Opel design so that explains it's European nature.

The DOHC 3.4L "LQ1" timing belt was even worse & couldn't be done without the special tools either., Though I've never done a Saturn L300 belt....So it might be the toughest?

Seems like a lot of complexity for what was not an especially powerful engine for it's size (at least in 3.0L guise). I suppose it was comparable to Ford's Duratec 3.0L and Nissan's original VQ30 in terms of power, so it wasn't bad per se, but not exactly a fire breather. I'm more familiar with the 3.0L as it was used in more vehicles than the 3.2, which I believe was only available in a Cadillac model. GM sure had some interesting fairly low-volume (or short run) engine designs in those years.. This one, the 3.5L Shortstar, and the DOHC 3.4L come to mind. Now for V6's, there's much less choice with the 3.6L (and derivatives) being installed in just about everything.

Oh Lord. That looks worse than my recent Honda t-belt disaster. There's no way that won't self destruct 3,000 miles after installation.

Originally Posted by benjamming
What's the book time for this?
Which particular vehicle did you work on?

Sorry, I forgot to mention it's a 2003 CTS. The car is in my lot with a snapped belt, hence the new motor I worked on today.

Yes, someone is putting an engine in a 2003 CTS. It's nuts.

I have no idea what book time is, I'll have to look it up tomorrow. It's much easier out of the car, I'll tell you that.

It was a similar picture of a Toyota V6 that decided me on 4 cylinder Camrys. 3 tensioners AND guides? And the advantage over a pushrod V is...
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by benjamming
What's the book time for this?
Which particular vehicle did you work on?

Sorry, I forgot to mention it's a 2003 CTS. The car is in my lot with a snapped belt, hence the new motor I worked on today.

Yes, someone is putting an engine in a 2003 CTS. It's nuts.

I have no idea what book time is, I'll have to look it up tomorrow. It's much easier out of the car, I'll tell you that.

Thanks for the pics and write up. I wonder how hard it is to replace that alternator when the motor is in the car.

I guess the customer loves caddys.

Originally Posted by andyd
It was a similar picture of a Toyota V6 that decided me on 4 cylinder Camrys. 3 tensioners AND guides? And the advantage over a pushrod V is...
grin2.gif

The Toyota VZ/MZ series V6s are relatively simple - with just one tensioner.

This setup with the cam's tendency to slip out of time with the belt pulled is worse than the Subaru DOHC EJ engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back