First Tesla purchase turning sour.

Checked out the car this morning and drove it around the lot. Works fine, no funny noises or warning messages, a/c cold. Pretty relieved to find that. I think I saw something in the front display about it being a 60 model and in the center display saying something like, Your subscription has expired. Maybe referring to Tesla charging? Anyway, I'll bring it home next week and take a closer look. Can I use the standard 120 volt charging cable that I have with the LEAF? Does leaving the key fob in the car keep everything awake and drain the battery? I took it with me.

You can use the same charger you use with the Leaf but you'll need a J1772 to NACS adapter. Plenty of cheap ones on Amazon.

You can revisit 2024 ICE at 12 years+ when you have data also. There is none and massive changes implemented in last 11 years. 1995-2014 very subtle changes across ICE.

I drive too many miles/year to car about the 10-12 year mark.
I have not inspected them myself, but I was looking at 2019+ Rav4's and there are number of them selling with 150K miles, some with 200K miles, with dealers asking a lot of money for them, so presumably there in pretty good shape.

Now obviously these were run at operating temp all the time, so its not a perfect comparison - but its a good sign. I bought my wife a new one in 2019. I would like to buy my daughter a used one, but there still too expensive. This LE model likely cost $24K in 2019. I only paid $30K for my almost loaded one. There are lots more examples.

1714151534808.jpg

There getting to a price point that I might be willing to try one soon. 100 miles at 80% charge would be fine for me, assuming it truly was 100 miles.

1714153044384.jpg

I have not inspected them myself, but I was looking at 2019+ Rav4's and there are number of them selling with 150K miles, some with 200K miles, with dealers asking a lot of money for them, so presumably there in pretty good shape.

Now obviously these were run at operating temp all the time, so its not a perfect comparison - but its a good sign. I bought my wife a new one in 2019. I would like to buy my daughter a used one, but there still too expensive. This LE model likely cost $24K in 2019. I only paid $30K for my almost loaded one. There are lots more examples.

View attachment 216206
A new base model is $28k now though and only goes up from there. It’s not so much what value it held, the whole market went up in cost which helps bolster used vehicle values. The problem is that buying new that you’re still buying a much more expensive vehicle.

My GTI has only lost about $7k in value from its initial purchase price, but a lot has happened since it was built in 2018. Discounting was still common then. A new model now is $41k for the same trim level when sticker was $36k on my car and didn’t sell for that out the door. In general we’re paying a lot more for the same amount of car than we used to only 5 years ago.

A new base model is $28k now though and only goes up from there. It’s not so much what value it held, the whole market went up in cost which helps bolster used vehicle values. The problem is that buying new that you’re still buying a much more expensive vehicle.

My GTI has only lost about $7k in value from its initial purchase price, but a lot has happened since it was built in 2018. Discounting was still common then. A new model now is $41k for the same trim level when sticker was $36k on my car and didn’t sell for that out the door. In general we’re paying a lot more for the same amount of car than we used to only 5 years ago.
Yes, my 30K one in 2019 is closer to $40K now. Still, the LE is under $30K new and they want $15K with 200K+ Miles on it - still too much.

If you can work with the current (?160 mile) range you're golden.

I'd still only charge it to 80% and draw it down to no lower than 10% as a daily routine. If it has a 160 mile range, the day to day range would be 70% of that, or 112 miles. Not great but still a useful vehicle.
You realize he bought it to sell right?

It would sure be more fun than a Leaf for a short range town car.

Found this one remote in the cup holder.

IMG_3809.JPG

I read they also came with card keys. Will have to check the glove box for that, but I see Tesla sells them for $40 a pair,

and you can program them yourself. It this true? That would be unbelievable. If this was a BMW or Mercedes, or even a Nissan or Subaru, two keys with programming would be over $500!

Found this one remote in the cup holder.

View attachment 216261

I read they also came with card keys. Will have to check the glove box for that, but I see Tesla sells them for $40 a pair,

and you can program them yourself. It this true? That would be unbelievable. If this was a BMW or Mercedes, or even a Nissan or Subaru, two keys with programming would be over $500!
Our Model 3 came with 2 key cards. That remote is an option and worth quite a few bucks

Back