First oil change in my Mazda6

Status
Not open for further replies.
In honor of "710 day", I performed the first oil change in my new Mazda6 yesterday evening. I went with the Mazda GF-5 w/Moly 0W-20 oil and a Mazda filter. (Go ahead BITOG, tell me I wasted money by draining my FF at 2,100 miles ; )

In spite of this being my first OC on this car, the operation went very smoothly. I had already purchased the correct allen head socket, filter cap socket, and drain plug crush washers (thanks to information gathered from BITOG!) The only hiccup was discovering how fast warm 0W-20 flows out of a drain plug hole - fortunately, spillage was minimal.

I also found a new, interesting way to document my oil changes. The labels on the Mazda oil quarts are stickers, and they peel off easily - so I peeled the front and back off all 5 bottles and applied them to a piece of copier paper, then wrote the date, mileage, and the oil's lot number at the top. Folded in half, that piece of paper fits perfectly in the owner's manual case.

Now I get to contemplate my second OC. What do you think, another 2,900 on this fill (to make it an even 5,000), or take this fill out 5,000 for a total of 7,100? (FWIW, my commute to work is only 2 miles; I do get the oil up to temp a few times a week, but definitely not every day. I'm confident I'd fit under Mazda's 'severe' service schedule of 5,000 mile OCIs)

I like going with an early change.I go 3K or so.Around 7K after.
How do you like car?
Pros?Cons?

Jealous of ur ride!! Id go to 5k mark on ur car and change it out. Your engine is new and metal particles will be in the oil. Call me paranoid but id swap it at 7500 and than 10k. Than go to 15k etc.. ur call tho!

Test and find out. You have a new car and a fairly unusual driving pattern. That's what I did. Its worth it to get away from these over-the-back-fence discussions. You don't have to do it every time. I sampled it at 5K. It was OK, so based on the oil monitor, I'll probably test a little after 7K. Then I will know.

Originally Posted By: Colt
I like going with an early change.I go 3K or so.Around 7K after.
How do you like car?
Pros?Cons?

I like the car a lot!
Lots of pros... ride quality, gas mileage, handling, gas mileage, great interior, bluetooth, and did I mention it gets really good gas mileage?!
Just a few cons... it needs an oil pressure gauge, a coolant temperature gauge, a sunroof, and about 20 extra horsepower.

Originally Posted By: jimbrewer
Test and find out. You have a new car and a fairly unusual driving pattern. That's what I did. Its worth it to get away from these over-the-back-fence discussions. You don't have to do it every time. I sampled it at 5K. It was OK, so based on the oil monitor, I'll probably test a little after 7K. Then I will know.

I just might do that.

Originally Posted By: Bluetrekrider
If I were you, weather permitting, I'd put my fanny on a bicycle seat and pedal the two miles.

Been thinking of that-being this close to work is recent; just moved a few weeks ago. Previous commute was 8 or so miles.
Haven't owned a bicyce in several years, but I'm not opposed to the idea.

changed mine at 3k. I don't do much hwy driving. Nice easy change, liked the one compartment that opens to the filter and drain plug.

Generally FF oils are not as robust as non-FF oils. FF oils generally allow wear-in of parts (break-in). If FF is changed out at 2100, I'd do 3k on the oil, then 5k on next. Then 7k next fill,IMO.
I've never gone the full recommended miles for 1st OC, and never had a oil related problem. I cut FF short, then a short 3k OCI, then a little longer next round. Don't know if it makes any sense or why I do it, I just do.
Done it to motorcycles, boats, mowers, generators.

Originally Posted By: danthaman1980
(Go ahead BITOG, tell me I wasted money by draining my FF at 2,100 miles ; )

Okay, you're crazy for wasting perfectly good oil after only 2100 miles.

I'm just over 4k miles on my CX-5 with the same engine as your Mazda 6.
I have a trip next week from Denver to Kansas City, then a bit further to Columbia, MO, and then back home, so I'm trying to decide whether I should change the oil before the trip or after the trip.

BC.

Got our Mazda 6's changed at 7k. Eh - I wasn't too worried about doing 1st change early.
(syn Mazda 0/20 from dealer) - she's on the 7.5k OCI schedule.

sounds like you got a great car to work on... I would like to slide under a newer car someday that wasn't rusty and destroyed by salt...
Many here will say stretch it out you are wasting oil, I say if you are having a good time with it, change whever you want, and recycle...
This thread would be much more enjoyable with pics of your 2014 Mazda...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back