First oil change for new/old Harley

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I bought my 09 Superglide 2 months ago, the PO had just done a service on the engine, primary and transmission using Harley SYN3 20w50 in all three holes. I'm at 3,200 miles since the service was done, so I'm going to be changing at least the engine oil in the next few weeks, and the primary and transmission most likely in the fall. I've used Valvoline Vr1 20w50 dino in my old EG with no problems and the Vr1 gets great reviews here. But....IDK....I'm thinking, synthetic ...maybe. I'm an old dino kinda guy but...I'm tempted by posts about, Amsoil, Redline, Mystik, and others. I have 8 qts of Vr1 dino just waiting to be used....but I'm torn!!

Last edited:
You can always run the Mobil 1 20w50 V-Twin. I like to run gear oil in the trans though. And a JASO certified HDEO in the primary. You can also find the oil change kits that Redline sells. I bought them for many years when a local shop used to carry them. Edit. I would use up the VR-1 you have on hand. It's a fine oil.

Last edited:
I run amsoil personally. Its actually the only thing that gets amsoil. I run rotella in the yamaha and amsoil in the big bore 2000 flhri roadking.

Use the VR1 in the engine and have no worries. Seach for the UOA's on here. I believe they were done in a Twin Cam 88 and they returned excellent numbers.

Get the Redline products, hands down the best for the $$. I started using Redline after 30k on this bike now. I only wish I had starTed sooner.

Ship to your door, 1 or 2 days no muss no fuss.

I was stuck in traffic last week in 98 degree heat and just inching along, when I started wondering if my Vr1 was doing the job of handling the heat while basically idling for 15 minutes. I could hear the engine cooling fans in the car behind me cycling on and off and got to thinking about using synthetic instead of dino in my air cooled bike. My main concern is the oil temperature, and by by using an ester based synthetic oil, {I'm seriously considering Redline 20w50} will I get the best protection from the heat? The PO used Harley SYN3 but IDK, I'm probably just thinking way too much.

I think your thinking too much! :eek:)

1. I would use the VR1 you have at home first, without hesitation.
2. Dont buy into the marketing of oil companies pushing large profit generating "synthetic" oils. Nothing wrong with a well made synthetic, just as there is nothing wrong with a well made conventional.
Its just oil, dont get yourself crazy and more so, if your going to use some "exotic" oil choose the truck or automotive version of the oil, not the motorcycle version.
By companies selling expensive motorcycle oil = a huge profit machine for them.
If you choose the API version of a well made oil at least you know what you are getting AND if you want to get "exotic" go for a ACEA approved oil of A3/B4 or E7 of higher. Or simply an HEDO of CH4 or higher.

When you buy a motorcycle oil, you get none of those ratings, nothing but the good will of the oil company (ha, imagine that, good will of an oil company)... maybe JASO. I am NOT knocking motorcycle oil, just giving you my reasoning that you should not make yourself crazy and listen to oil company marketing selling you expensive unrated motorcycle oil.
You can choose the API automotive or better HEDO rated oils or ACEA oils at less cost and you actually know what you are buying rather then an oil company selling you some super expensive oil that they tell you is better for your motorcycle so they can make HUGE profits when you can buy a conventional or synthetic oil they will produce the same and better results.

BY THE WAY, I personally would NOT use SYN 3 in my primary and transmission. Forumla+ is a much better choice. Domt over think it!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
VR-1, best bang for the buck. It will look just as good in the drain pan as any of of the more expensive boutique oils.,,,

That's what I'm using right now. I've been in 100 degree heat idling in traffic and the bike is just as quiet as when I was using the synthetic oil.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
I was stuck in traffic last week in 98 degree heat and just inching along, when I started wondering if my Vr1 was doing the job of handling the heat while basically idling for 15 minutes. I could hear the engine cooling fans in the car behind me cycling on and off and got to thinking about using synthetic instead of dino in my air cooled bike. My main concern is the oil temperature, and by by using an ester based synthetic oil, {I'm seriously considering Redline 20w50} will I get the best protection from the heat? The PO used Harley SYN3 but IDK, I'm probably just thinking way too much.

Do you have an oil cooler?

I like a synthetic in the engine. Lots of reports of synthetic oil running 10-20 degrees cooler and that is nothing to sneeze at!!

Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W50 readily available at Wal-Mart.

'I like a synthetic in the engine. Lots of reports of synthetic oil running 10-20 degrees cooler and that is nothing to sneeze at!!'

^ This ^ Is why I posed the question. My main concern is heat, and if a synthetic will handle the extra heat of an air cooled engine better than a conventional. My local OPE shop sells Amsoil and he also said it would run 10 to 20 degrees cooler in an air cooled engine.

Jarlaxle, No it doesn't have an oil cooler, but I've thought about putting one on my bike.

Silverado12, I've also heard that the synthetics make the Harley engines top end noisier....IDK.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gman2304
'I like a synthetic in the engine. Lots of reports of synthetic oil running 10-20 degrees cooler and that is nothing to sneeze at!!'

^ This ^ Is why I posed the question. My main concern is heat, and if a synthetic will handle the extra heat of an air cooled engine better than a conventional. My local OPE shop sells Amsoil and he also said it would run 10 to 20 degrees cooler in an air cooled engine.

Jarlaxle, No it doesn't have an oil cooler, but I've thought about putting one on my bike.

Silverado12, I've also heard that the synthetics make the Harley engines top end noisier....IDK.

All air-cooled motorcycles need an oil cooler!

I would say not all air cooled bikes need them, but many would benefit from them, especially V twins due to the lack of airflow over the rear cylinder. Some, like an old Ironhead sporty do indeed almost need them if you want them to live a decent while in stop and go traffic.

But others like the old BMW opposed twins don't particularly need them.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
I would say not all air cooled bikes need them, but many would benefit from them, especially V twins due to the lack of airflow over the rear cylinder. Some, like an old Ironhead sporty do indeed almost need them if you want them to live a decent while in stop and go traffic.

But others like the old BMW opposed twins don't particularly need them.

I dont think you can go wrong with an oil cooler and with a Harley you can even buy theirs at the same cost as aftermarket.
I have been checking my oil temps on a daily basis and contrary to popular belief I have found, to my own surprise that the faster you go, the hotter your oil gets (unless of course your dead stopped in traffic but actually, I dont even think in traffic I saw them as high as = read below)
I was surprised but think I now know why.

At high speeds your burning much more fuel, generating much more horsepower, much more resistance such as wind resistance. There is much, much more load on the engine at high speeds cause oil temps to rise.
I have found, at interstate speeds, on my 14 Road King with factory oil cooler, day time temps of 90+ degrees, constant 75 to 80 MPH for 30 minutes or more that my oil temps are always the highest then any other speed, normally around 248 to 254 degrees. The highest i ever measured was 264 degrees but cant remember if that was traffic or interstate.
I suspect this is why the oil cooler in the first place and why manufacturers do not put fans on them, they know its higher speeds at MUCH greater loads that generate the high oil temps.

At slower speeds I easily attain (average) what Harley calls normal temps of 230 degrees. Around town less then that, a mix, right around that and long trips on the interstate much higher then that.

Its really quite interesting and caught me by surprise but if you think about it, makes a lot of sense. At high speeds, more fuel, more horsepower being generated and much, much more resistance that the motor is working against, namely wind.

Since I live in such a hot climate and travel at high speeds so often, I know when I get around to it, Im pretty sure I am going to upgrade the oil cooler from the stock 6 row to a 10 row as hands down, no more question, the high speeds really heat the oil up. The engine is designed to handle this, but what the heck, this is my hobby too, so would like to throw a 10 row on it and see if it stays under 250 in high stress, high speeds as a fun project.
Its pretty much plug and play for a 10 row, take off the 6 row, put on the 10 row.

Wards fans on their website has the stats on the VTWINS and surprisingly, the rear cylinder temps arent drastically higher then the front, yes, statistically significant, but 10% or less which isnt all that much.

Last edited:
^ good stuff alarmguy ^. When I think about it, I think you're probably right about high temps at higher speeds due to the reasons you gave, more wind drag, higher load, especially two up, with a higher engine RPM, etc. I actually try to avoid interstate highways preferring two lane country roads with speed limits of 45 to 60 mph. It's also rare for me to get caught in a city traffic jam as I did last Friday. I turned onto a side street and got around the traffic and got enough speed to get the cooler air around the engine and it ran great on the way home. I've really been pleased with the 09 Superglide after putting 3,200 miles on it in 2 months. Oil is spot on full and after riding a fuel injected Harley then riding my old carbureted EG 150 miles last week, I'm loving the crank and go with no waem up necessary with the Superglide. I'm leaning toward the Vr1 I have for the first change, with fall riding just around the corner, but I'm still pondering the Redline for maybe next spring.

Redline 20w50 and Mobil1 Vtwin 20w50 always ran best in my TC88. Thy some 85w140 gear lube in the trans and Rotella 15w40 in the primary.

I haven't seen much difference in between various brands or types of oils I have used in my Harleys through the years. MoCo 20W50, Revtech 20W50, Havoline 20W50, Belray EXS 10W50, Brad Penn 20W50 etc. - all of them have worked well.
Now I'm stuck with Brand Penn as I bought a case.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back