Firewire vs USB 3 revisited

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been doing some research and I have found out that if you want really high transfer speeds it might be better staying with Firewire. The new Firewire 3200 is not supposed to be as fast as USB 3 (up to 4800) but the first devices using Firewire 3200 will probably be capable of realizing 97% of the potential speed, but USB 3 may be realizing only about 25% of the potential speed at first. Plus, computers that have current Firewire 800 ports will apparently be compatible with the new Firewire 3200. People wanting USB 3 will probably need new motherboards and the speed will not be as high as it is supposed to be for a while. Faster than USB 2 but not that great of an increase.

Of course, most common devices will probably continue using USB 1.1 or USB 2 and USB 3 when it becomes commonplace. But for really fast data transfer and fast external hard drives, etc., in the near future, Firewire will probably still be the better choice.

Unfortunately my current Windows and iMac computers have Firewire 400 but not Firewire 800. I think if I had a custom Windows computer built I would go for Firewire 3200 ports. But probably the best thing to do is simply wait for the USB 3 technology to finally realize its real potential. That may be 2-3 years away.

Unless you're doing some serious work, I can't see why you'd need more than Firewire 400 anyway. I do prefer firewire to USB.

Well, eventually this new high speed stuff will be commonplace on computers. You could backup an entire hard drive on a computer to an external hard drive in a very short period of time.

But for now, I will just get the Snow Leopard and Windows 7 upgrades for my two computers and keep running them for as long as possible.

I have had two custom built Windows computers and if I decide to go with another one I will make sure I can run Mac OS X if needed and that there are Firewire 3200 and USB 3 ports on the computer.

USB 3 will probably end up being the interface for everything internal and external. USB 3 will be faster than SATA. I would be nice to standardize on one bus type.

Doesn't Apple get a royalty for every firewire device and chipset?

Originally Posted By: tmorris1
USB 3 will probably end up being the interface for everything internal and external. USB 3 will be faster than SATA. I would be nice to standardize on one bus type.

There is a lot more to speed and interface design than the throughput number. USB 3 is a total POS compared to SATA.

Originally Posted By: mstrjon32
Originally Posted By: tmorris1

There is a lot more to speed and interface design than the throughput number. USB 3 is a total POS compared to SATA.

People said the same about USB1.1 and Firewire and look what won out. You may be right because I have had a chance, or need, to research it much yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back